SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-02-23, 09:25 PM   #3241
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

Evening Gary. Taxi Driver Trev is on duty tonight. One of Lady Poppy's mates is 60 today so there is a meal out for, thankfully, just the ladies. Dropped off at 7:30 I'm expecting the call to pick up again any time in the next hour.

I'm killing time watching Suzanne Vega on iPlayer's Radio 2 Piano Room. Very mellow after my day of mending The Monkey's road bike and some gardening in the light hail this afternoon.
Old 25-02-23, 09:38 PM   #3242
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Evening Trevor. No hail here but it has been pretty cold with a wind from the NNE. Out for a run with Mabel this morning with a friend and three of her dogs, gardening this afternoon and then out again with Mabel for a late afternoon walk.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-23, 10:12 AM   #3243
Craig380
Mega Poster

That northerly wind certainly has a bite to it - I was going to have a spin out this morning but will wait until this afternoon when the mercury's risen a bit more!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-23, 07:50 PM   #3244
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I was tempted to take the bike out this afternoon but gave into the chill winds.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 27-02-23, 09:17 AM   #3245
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Hello all. Sorry not been on here for a while. Life has thrown various s**t storms in my direction the last year or so and I've just been running away into the courtryside lanes riding a dirt bike any chance I can get for a while.

The latest installment of crapness though is that my garage was broken into a couple of weeks ago and both my bikes taken. Gutted, in shock, angry and about to be done over by insurance too to top it all off.
I've picked up (via a friend of a friend) a very cheap old bike using my overdraft to try to stay mobile and be able to commute.

If anyone has any advice of things to go over on a 1997 Honda CBR600f that's been sat for over 3 years then advice and tips appreciated. Currently trying to remove the carbs to give them a clean out. Hoping to get it up and running asap to be able to have a few days off from cycling to work now and then.

Trying to stay positive and think if I get it running then hopefully I'll have something to ride on the road and maybe get over the bridge onto those amazing Welsh roads again.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-23, 10:36 AM   #3246
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Bloody hell Adam, that grim news. I don't know what else I can say other than I'd be think about moving somewhere with a bit less crime.

I can't even offer any advice on the Honda other than look at the cam chain tensioner, as I vaguely recall they used to give trouble.

What's the issue with the insurance company?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-23, 10:47 AM   #3247
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Insurance are just doing what they do. Dragging it out. Trying everything they can to find a reason to not pay.

They also sneakily increased my excess when I renewed without me knowing. I never have voluntary excess added to their compulsary as it doesn't seem to bring the premium cost down. They altered it for the renewal though so my excess is £650 .. per bike!
Old 27-02-23, 11:20 AM   #3248
redtrummy

Sorry to hear that Adam - pleased that you have joined us again! When I put the Cub back on the road some 20 years ago it had stood for 20 years or so with a little oil being put down the plug hole now and again and then turned over. (Pre modern petrol) I changed that and it started 3rd kick and apart from when I had it resprayed its been running since apart from one carb clean out and a few changes to the forks oil seals so you may not have to do much!
How about naming and shaming the insurance company - it at least then will make us aware so we don't fall for the same devious scam.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-23, 12:05 PM   #3249
Craig380
Mega Poster

Hi Adam - bloody hell indeed, really sorry to hear that, it truly is a f*cking skank by the insurance co.

Hope you get the CBR sorted quickly and easily. As far as I know they're a very strong engine, up there with the SV motor in terms of reliability and the build quality elsewhere is supposed to be better than most other Japanese bikes. As Gary mentioned I think the CCT can sometimes stick but it's rare.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-23, 12:33 PM   #3250
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers guys.

It's the underwriters and people the claim is passed to that are the problem. Realising now that when you need to claim it's not the (reputable) people you signed up with that handle any of it. This claim has been handed to 4th dimension, who don't have the best track record apparently. The actual insurance is also with someone else, AXA maybe?

My policy was taken out through Bemoto, who have been really good for the past three years and always good on renewals too. I guess I should have read the small print and realised they'd adjusted my excess last renewal and not just assumed that renewal meant exactly the same policy as the previous year. I'm sure all insurance companies try these sort of things. Others probably try even more underhand practices.