SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-06, 12:41 AM   #1
Tina

Default Riding with others

Hiya All,

Ive had my sv since May and i'm really enjoying it loads.
I ride as often as i can and this is normally alone.

But when my fella comes up at weekends or if i ride down to him
i find it stressful when we ride together.

If i ride behind i get really annoyed at his riding style even though
he's been riding years and years, ive only rode with Instructors before
so you learn from them.
i dont want to pick up any of his bad habits as i'm sure i'll develop my own
as like driving i suppose?

we've come to a compromise now that i ride in front, this makes me more happier
but i feel that my riding is then getting scrutinised at times? and that my pace
may not be suitable?

am i being unreasonable, and should i just concentrate on my own riding? tho this being hard when you watch someone else braking in front of you at ridiculas moments.

please be kind in replies - i'm still learning my craft lol

Tina xx
Old 19-07-06, 12:48 AM   #2
andyaikido

I'd get out on your own as much as possible and when you do ride together keep a lot of distance between yourselves. Your fella faster or slower than you? If he's faster let him go, as long as he lets you catch up before turnings, and if you're quicker then do the same... although he might not like being left behind by a noobie.
Old 19-07-06, 12:54 AM   #3
Tina

... oh and i must also add that my fella adores riding together
so when i voice my concerns, he feels crappy about it which isnt
my intention.

He rides faster than me but now rides behind me, i dont feel that
i'm a good riding buddy, to which he responds he doesnt mind as he
enjoys our rides all the same.

i think your right, more experience riding on my own will be beneficial.

Tina xx
Old 19-07-06, 07:17 AM   #4
Anonymous

This is the same problem as skiing with your partner...one can always go a bit quicker than the other. Here's my solution: when you start a journey, agree the stop-for-a-break points. Then, rather than ride with your partner, agree that you will meet at that place, and each go there at your own speed.
Old 19-07-06, 07:51 AM   #5
diamond

Does he ride an IL4? Cos i find when i follow Fizz on his GSXR he has to use his brakes when i can just let my engine breaking slow me down so i've learnt to ignore what he's doing and just ride my own ride. But i have found i need to leave a bigger gap between us than i ever did when he was on his SV to allow for the difference.

Failing that just go in front and leave him for dust
Old 19-07-06, 07:58 AM   #6
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
But i have found i need to leave a bigger gap between us than i ever did when he was on his SV to allow for the difference.
How many miles is that then?
Old 19-07-06, 08:02 AM   #7
Lou M

It is hard when two of you ride together. My bloke and I do, he's been riding years, I've only been riding 6 years.

It's taken us a while to get used to each others rides, but you do get there. We now always ride with him in front, as, like you said, I felt that I was being scrutinised.
At first he was frustrated that I couldn't keep up with him, but we always talk about the route first so that if does an overtake and I'm not happy to, then we'll catch up later - he often pulls into a layby to wait for me after he's had his fun.

Ride together as much as possible, but if you feel that your confidence is going then go out for a short ride on your own - I have a regular round the block ride, I know the roads and bends well so know what speed to take each one at and can build my confidence back up that way.

You will get there, it'll just take time.
Hope this helps!
Lou x
Old 19-07-06, 08:04 AM   #8
jonboy

Default Re: Riding with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
If i ride behind i get really annoyed at his riding style even though
he's been riding years and years, ive only rode with Instructors before
so you learn from them.
If he's been riding for some years and you haven't, what gives you the right to criticize his riding?

Quote:
i dont want to pick up any of his bad habits as i'm sure i'll develop my own
as like driving i suppose?
How do you know they're bad habits and not advanced techniques?

I'd suggest concentrating on the road ahead and your own riding would be a better thing to do. The roads in the US are nice and wide so you easily use a staggered formation with plenty of room to both see and manoeuvre, and not worry so much about how the guy in front rides.

Old 19-07-06, 08:14 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding with others

Quote:
this makes me more happier but i feel that my riding is then getting scrutinised at times? and that my pace may not be suitable?
You shouldnt feel like this. Might I humbly suggest that the problem is in your head rather than anything your partner is doing. Ride for yourself if he finds you're going to slow and he can I'm sure he'll pass you when its safe to do so. Has he actually said that your riding is to slow ? If not then I really wouldnt worry about it.

Quote:
am i being unreasonable, and should i just concentrate on my own riding? tho this being hard when you watch someone else braking in front of you at ridiculas moments.
I think maybe you are being a little harsh. You're right you should just be concentrating on your own riding and not worrying about what the bike behind or in front of you is doing.

When you say ridiculous moments what do you mean. If he / she is in front his or her visability of what is round the corner or a hazard in the road is likely to be better than yours is. Just because you can't see it doesnt mean theres not something in your way that you need to brake for to avoid.

As E.d. says different bikes have different characteristics. So you have to bear that in mind as well.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 08:21 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

I have similar issues with my girlfriend. I love riding with her, its just that SHE beats herself up whenever she makes a mistake. Pesonaly i just say learn from it, and go on to the next one. She just gets so so so annoyed with it all, saying, i wish i could ride like you and all that. I try to point out that we all still make mistakes, and that as long as they dont put you in danger, then alls cool.

I only give critisim if needed, which is never a lot, as she rides very well, for someone that only rides as much as she does.

Once shes made an error, she wont ride in front of me, as shes to embarresed.

As said, if you can, go out on your own, or ride with other people. Your bloke will ride his ride, and you should do the same.

Just enjoy going out together.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote