SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-05-15, 08:20 PM   #31
davepreston

Default Re: You can't get rid of me that easily

cholesterol was next to nowt, and im starting the rehab routine thursday
Old 17-05-15, 10:20 PM   #32
scotty217

Sorry mate, didn't mean to be condescending or patronizing. I'm a cardiac radiographer and it's easy to slip into work mode. I'm sure your getting more than enough advice, but if you need to speak to someone or have any questions, drop me a line. I definitely don't have all the answers but i know people who have answers, or can at least point you in some helpful directions.
Old 18-05-15, 07:29 AM   #33
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Hi Scotty do you deal with ECGs then?
Is it possible to not have damage to the heart with high blood pressure for an un known length of time, to the tune of 203/110?

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 18-05-15 at 07:50 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-15, 06:12 PM   #34
scotty217

I have a working knowledge of ECGs, but I'm not a cardiac technician. Those blood pressure figures are pretty high. If it was me I'd get checked out by my GP and ask for a referral to my local Cardiac Unit. There are many reasons for high blood pressure, one could be that the major vessels leading from the heart have lost there flexibility through old age or alcohol. This means that the heart has to create and maintain a higher pressure just to force the blood to the peripheries of your body. There could be many other reasons. Over a prolonged period of time damage will occur to the heart, thickening of the heart muscle structure, aneurysms in the coronary or cerebral arteries (leading to ruptures). Speak to your Doctor. The thing is though, one reading doesn't necessarily mean someone has high blood pressure, readings would need to be taken over a period of time. Most of our Doctors reckon that a consistent reading over 140/90 is high.

I hope I've helped, with my limited knowledge. The bottom line is if you are worried speak to your GP, and if necessary get a referral.

Best wishes Dizzy

Last edited by scotty217; 18-05-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 18-05-15, 07:07 PM   #35
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

That was the highest reading over a 24 hr monitor period. Lowest being 174/...
No idea how long prior to monitoring it had been going on.

Tablets for life, and a multitude of tests. GP is all in hand. BUT very slow process to find the cause. ECG was one of them.

Just wondered if it was possible to get away without damage.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-15, 08:24 PM   #36
scotty217

The not knowing how long the high pressures have been going on for is the key point, and is the most difficult to find out. It does sound like you are doing the right things.

My last two or three years in the RAF were a problem for me because i was dogged with Atrial Fibrillation, a form of irregular beat, which would come and go. It meant that I could not sign on beyond 22 years. The worst of it was that i let it bother me. I was worried that I'd go into AF on holiday, so i was reluctant to go on holiday. Stuff like that.

If I can give Dave and you and anyone else going through stuff like this a small crumb of advice it would be to make sure you carry on with your life, all be it in a new and healthier style.