SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 09-04-05, 12:09 PM   #1
Kingy

Default Shark or HJC?

After much umming and ahing have finally got it narrowed down to either a Shark RSF2 Race or HJC FG-14.

I already have a Shark and have no complaints but the HJC seems to fit a bit better. Only trouble is I don't know too much about HJC lids and to my mind it seems a bit too cheap compared with similar lids.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Ps. Please answer quickly as every time I go into the shop there is a rack full of Arais and Shoeis that just keep calling to me
Old 09-04-05, 10:12 PM   #2
Mythkind

I've got an FG-14 and its a relatively useful lid. It is very noisy though when going at any speed over about 50. And the visor steams up easily (or maybe thats just my heavy breathing). The vents are good for keeping you cool (probably why the noise is bad) and I have no regrets buying one as I think it was great value for money. However when it comes time to replace it I will be spending the extra dosh on a Shoei or Arai.

MK
Old 09-04-05, 10:43 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Many of the cheep helmets seem to be ACU approved which from a saftey aspect makes them very good. But do we know how much better the more expensive ones are than the cheep ones.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-05, 09:59 AM   #4
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Many of the cheep helmets seem to be ACU approved which from a saftey aspect makes them very good. But do we know how much better the more expensive ones are than the cheep ones.
ACU mark means nothing, it's only a checklist of features, not a set of tests.
If it has a CE mark (which it does) then it's fine. Up to about £100 or so you will probably see improvements in safety then after that it's mostly build quality and comfort.
Old 11-04-05, 10:03 AM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

I bought a helmet on Saturday, tried quite a few on (including Shark) and the most comfortable (in my price range - £120) was a KBC VR-7, used it all day yesterday while training and it was very comfortable and not too noisy (well, at 65mph on a CG125 anyway!)

Never heard of the make before, apparently they are American, wont hold that against it tho!
Old 11-04-05, 03:29 PM   #6
SpankyHam

HJC helmets are the noisiest helmets i ever tried.
Old 16-04-05, 05:37 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth
HJC helmets are the noisiest helmets i ever tried.
Never tried an AGV then i guess.

My HJC is the Spiderman one and is very good. had it almost a year now and got no real complaints.
Bougth the g/f an AGV K series Hot Rod and its seriously noisy. Even with all the vents closed on both lids the AGV is stil a lot louder. The HJC has a chin curtain whick may account for the noise reduction as the AGV is a snuger fit and gives me a little hamster cheeks.

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 04:41 PM   #8
Clunk

HJC did very well in the Ride mag helmet test this month and the AC-11 is on sale in HG shops for £100, that's £90 off.
This helmet came 2nd out of the 28 they tested, so that's a serious bargain.

I've got a HJC ZF-7, had it for 3 years now, only problem has been the end of the strap started fraying. I melted it with a soldering iron and no problems since.

Cant comment on the noise as I have nothing to compare it with, its ok for me with earplugs in.

If I was looking for a new lid I would defo buy another one.
Old 02-05-05, 05:44 PM   #9
kwak zzr

ive just got that hjc ac-11 and for £100 you cant buy better, ive always spent around the 200 - 250 mark on a lid but after reading RIDE i thourght i would give one a go,TAKE NOTE as they are from the us they seem to size a little bigger than other helmets i needed an XS!
great lid
daz
Old 05-05-05, 02:29 PM   #10
svsteve

i was very impressed with my hjc. very comfortable, light, well made and fairly quiet compared to some. good value for money i thought. the H-G price is a bargain.