SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-06, 07:59 AM   #1
M65

Default R&G Tail Tidy

I have been offered one for cheap money, but can anyone tell me if they are any good? How do they compare to the Hamicad or EvoTech alternatives? Are they good quality? etc. etc.

Thanks guys
Old 16-10-06, 08:08 AM   #2
thor

They are pants.

I could give you lots of reasons why, or you could read my whinging by searching for my name and "R&G tail"
Old 16-10-06, 10:32 AM   #3
Law

I have one, not that great. quite hard to fit, number plate light is useless.

Plus points is it looks sleek.

But then I have nothing else to compare it with apart from the snow shovel.
Old 16-10-06, 12:27 PM   #4
kwak zzr

ive got one, its not great but it does what its ment to do and i found it very easy to fit, its cheap and cheer full.
Old 16-10-06, 06:01 PM   #5
andyaikido

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
ive got one, its not great but it does what its ment to do and i found it very easy to fit, its cheap and cheer full.
Cheap!

I paid £50 for a bit of bent metal. It's still on but i've had to have a replacement as the original broke when the rear tyre touched the number plate.

If you're getting one i'd forget about the plate light and mount the plate as high up as it will go.

Also be aware the if you only have 2 wires for the indicators going up into the tail unit it will let water in so gaffa tape between the metal and rubber bit to water proof it and water will also get into the indicators unless you seal them with silicon or similar.

BTW i have no experience of any other tail tidies but Hamicad get good press on this site.
Old 16-10-06, 07:05 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I know its not the same bike, but I've got one on my GSXR, seems quite well made and on the GSXR it was easy to fit. My one reuses the existing number plate light.

Was reasonably priced to. £10 cheaper than the hamicad one.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 07:18 PM   #7
kwak zzr

i only paid 26 quid for my R+G one.
Old 16-10-06, 08:25 PM   #8
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
Cheap!

I paid £50 for a bit of bent metal. It's still on but i've had to have a replacement as the original broke when the rear tyre touched the number plate.

If you're getting one i'd forget about the plate light and mount the plate as high up as it will go.

Also be aware the if you only have 2 wires for the indicators going up into the tail unit it will let water in so gaffa tape between the metal and rubber bit to water proof it and water will also get into the indicators unless you seal them with silicon or similar.

BTW i have no experience of any other tail tidies but Hamicad get good press on this site.
I had exactly the same problems with mine. It's gone through 2 indicators and one tail light through inadequate protection.

I also had the problem with the plate touching the tyre. On mine the plate got torn off. R&G never paid for the plate. I had a police witness and everything!
Old 16-10-06, 08:42 PM   #9
M65

Sounds similar to what happened with my Hamicad, but it was one of the earlier ones that were prone to snapping so I took my chances a little I suppose. Think I'll stay clear of the R&G stuff then! Will stick to either another Hamicad, or try an EvoTech tail tidy. They seem to have a pretty good write up too.