SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Are you voting for the congestion charge?
Yes 2 16.67%
No 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-11-08, 12:40 PM   #1
simesb

Default Manchester Congestion Charge - how you voting?

Well the papers are out, the propaganda has landed on the doormat.

Even though bikes are exempt, and i live inside the inner ring so wouldn't have to pay anyway, I can't believe people think this is a good idea . I'm particularly impressed that they are going to use some of the money to "optimise the traffic signals" to improve traffic flow - I assume that means they currently have them deliberately set to restrict flow!

Anonymous poll......
Old 30-11-08, 12:49 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Manchester Congestion Charge - how you voting?

As most on the .Org, I live outside of Manchester. Generally I'd only ever go there if I were visiting folks, which means I'd be on the bike. Or I'd be shopping, which means I'd be at the Trafford Centre.

HTH.
Old 30-11-08, 01:36 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Go to manchester plenty of times. A charge will hit me.

Only those who live in greater Manchester can vote. Not those who commute to Manchester.

It is a tax levied on people who work in Manchester and choose not to live there. Surely those who live within the charge boundary and therefore do not cross it should be unable to vote as any charge would not affect them.
Old 30-11-08, 01:41 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

You'd have to be a fool to want this.

London's experience is not how Ken's propaganda suggested it is, and now we have the removal of the West London section, I can only hope the original charge area will go too.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-08, 01:43 PM   #5
Woz

I have voted against it.

I think it's disgusting the way the government have held Manchester council to ransom over this.

Also, for years, the roads in and around Manchester have been deliberately narrowed with unused bus lanes (there is one near me that is a hundred yards long !?!), extremely wide cycle lanes and hatchings down the middle of the road. I'm telling you now that if the congestion charge goes through, the first thing they'll do is strip all the paint off the road and say "look, it's working already".
Old 30-11-08, 02:09 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Bikes are exempt, until they come up with a reliable way of detecting them. They were initially in the scheme, until there were teething problems with the technology.

All this will do, is push traffic around the M60, through small villages, and generally cause a ballache.

We're a dense population (either meaning), with a high GDP, on a tiny island. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a reliable, cheap, quick public transport system; without imposing ridiculous totalitarian rules on those of us who choose to drive.
Old 30-11-08, 04:55 PM   #7
Gene genie

its the thin end of the wedge. you must vote no. if its deemed a financial success then other councils will adopt it. you could find yourself paying it 3 or 4 times travelling through different boroughs.
other points are,
it'll effect schools, hospitals, shops and tourists.
we all pay road tax anyway for that right so why should we pay again.
if the powers at be wish to relieve the congestion they should consider removing all the transport that are unfit to be there, i.e untaxed, unlicensed, uninsured, and the unroadworthy, that'll probably account for 25%.
Old 30-11-08, 05:24 PM   #8
Davido

I agree with the Genie, but I've never been to manchester and never plan to so I'd vote yes just to spite you.
Old 30-11-08, 05:30 PM   #9
hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I can only hope the original charge area will go too.
To be fair, much as I hated the Kenmeister he did have a point, although it was just a way to generate £ Monet, I have to say it was class.

Tbh ignoring people that HAVE to be in London (i.e those who run a delivery business/live in London) it put a load of people off entering the capital that would otherwise just "poped up to London".

I think a lot of people (if the C-charge was dropped) would commute to london by car just because they can, they have the option of bike (which is free) so I don't really see the need for cars in London (except delivery cars such as cabs,couriers (non bike) etc)