SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-18, 07:12 PM   #1
mess6311

Default C29 fault

Gents,

Started getting an FI light and F1 fault on turning the key in the ignition. On starting the engine it usually then disappears and clears. I have made myself a dealer mode tool and the code is a C29. I have checked connections with the Secondary throttle valve position sensor and made sure the little - line is adjusted to where it should be.

Any other suggestions please?
mess6311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 07:40 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: C29 fault

What year is yours? This is worth checking - if the STV linkages get sticky or stiff, the STV might not return to exactly where the ECU expects it to be and will throw a code.

Follow the link here: https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=220760

If that does nothing then the STV sensor might need replacing.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 09:59 PM   #3
mess6311

Cheers mate, its not the STV, just the sensor that throws a fault. But only until the engine is running then seems to clear?
Old 18-12-18, 11:07 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Heat related? Sounds like something moves back into place as the engine warms. Not your issue but as an example of something like this, the horn not working is common on a lot of bikes until it's warmed by the engine, as it expands and the adjuster screw moves into place as it expands. Is there anything that is moving even slightly as the engine gets up to temperature?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 11:12 PM   #5
glang

the STV automatically runs through a full open and close operation when you turn on the ignition and at a guess I would say that its position sensor is a little bit out of adjustment. This means that when the STV returns to the closed position the sensors output is outside the permisible limits (0.1 - 4.8v) and after 4 seconds brings up the fault code. When you start the engine the STV moves off its closed position and the voltage reading is now ok.

I had the same thing but at the other end of the range so once riding if I held full throttle for more than 4 secs Id get the FI and C29. Adjusted the sensor position and never had it again....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 06:36 AM   #6
mess6311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Heat related? Sounds like something moves back into place as the engine warms. Not your issue but as an example of something like this, the horn not working is common on a lot of bikes until it's warmed by the engine, as it expands and the adjuster screw moves into place as it expands. Is there anything that is moving even slightly as the engine gets up to temperature?
Dont think its heat, as it literally goes out within seconds of starting the engine. Doesn't have time to warm up any
Old 19-12-18, 06:38 AM   #7
mess6311

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
the STV automatically runs through a full open and close operation when you turn on the ignition and at a guess I would say that its position sensor is a little bit out of adjustment. This means that when the STV returns to the closed position the sensors output is outside the permisible limits (0.1 - 4.8v) and after 4 seconds brings up the fault code. When you start the engine the STV moves off its closed position and the voltage reading is now ok.

I had the same thing but at the other end of the range so once riding if I held full throttle for more than 4 secs Id get the FI and C29. Adjusted the sensor position and never had it again....
I have had a STV fault that i rectified, maybe that's it. If i hold my throttle open it doesn't go in to fault again. But definitely worth checking the voltages. Cheers
Old 19-12-18, 08:34 AM   #8
glang

yes it should be easy to check if you can get a multimeter on to the connections of the STV sensor - without shorting anything! Then turn the ignition on, wait for the STV to reset and check you have at least 0.1v there (the exact reading doesnt matter as long as its slightly higher).
Old 28-12-18, 08:34 PM   #9
glang

any result on this problem yet?