SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-19, 12:58 PM   #21
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Converting Naked to faired?

posted years ago :
" a decent screen - used a Givi screen on my naked curvy. Excellent at keeping climate and schuyt at bay.
Only problem was it encouraged silly speeds.
Correction - that was no problem. "

will try to find pic
Old 13-01-19, 01:03 PM   #22
Bibio
Mega Poster

there is a simple solution to this. sell the naked and buy a sport version with lowers.

to convert a naked to a sport version is a huge expensive task.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 01:28 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
there is a simple solution to this. sell the naked and buy a sport version with lowers.

to convert a naked to a sport version is a huge expensive task.

I'd agree totally with Bibio. The nakeds are slightly rarer and sometimes more in demand so you may end up better off out of the swap. There's plenty of S versions around at the moment at good prices. Look for private sales on Facebook etc. There's some really nice bikes out there that I'd be looking at if I didn't already have one.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 01:22 AM   #24
bigdawg

Yes it is mainly that I want the look. I’m honestly too new to even understand the wind issues yet. I have only rode a few times as I got my 2007 650 in November and only locally. I saw a good deal and went for it. I like the bike but if I could start over I would have purchased a full faired version but I was impatient. Now that I have it I’m trying to see what the investment is to get it to faired and all that I would need.
Old 16-01-19, 10:51 AM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Ride the one you've got for a while. If possible, test ride one with the clip-ons and I think you'll realise you're better off with what you have.
Old 16-01-19, 11:25 AM   #26
bigdawg

When you say test with clip ins you mean fairings or handle bars
Old 16-01-19, 11:31 AM   #27
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Clip-on handlebars. They're very low on the S version. A lot of people find them painful after about an hour of riding. Ok at 70mph as the wind pressure on your chest lifts weight off your hands, but for slower riding they aren't ideal. I swapped mine out for risers (like you have on your Naked version) so I can ride for longer than an hour. I can now do all day in comfort... apart from the seat, but that's another issue common to them all.
Old 16-01-19, 11:52 AM   #28
Bibio
Mega Poster

who cares what it looks like. its glossy magazines and peer pressure that changes peoples minds. dont get sucked up in the whole tail tidy and mini indicator shizz. its only robbing your pocket and makes absolutely no difference to how the bike rides.

with you being a new rider i would urge you to keep the naked as you WILL drop it or crash it at some point.

spend the money where it counts and thats in servicing, better tyres or advanced riding instruction.

as Adam said the sit up naked is a lot easier and more of a pleasure to ride. it also helps keep the speed down so could save your licence.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 01:26 PM   #29
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
A lot of people find them painful after about an hour of riding. Ok at 70mph as the wind pressure on your chest lifts weight off your hands, but for slower riding they aren't ideal. I swapped mine out for risers (like you have on your Naked version) so I can ride for longer than an hour. I can now do all day in comfort... apart from the seat, but that's another issue common to them all.
100% agreed. I was actually looking for a naked SV but they are harder to find, and an S model came up that was simply too good to miss.

I'm 5'11" with long arms and my wrists used to KILL me after an hour's riding when I first got the bike. I re-thought the way I sat on the bike and focused on avoiding 'slumping' and keeping my back straight, which made a big difference and stopped my wrists aching.

So I could then ride for more than 90 minutes at a time. But then the standard seat made my **** go into a coma after 2 hours riding. So I got a Suzi gel seat from another SVer. I now love my S
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 05:29 PM   #30
andy650

I bought a faired for the looks, and when I rode a naked I wish I had bought that instead!

Ended up putting riser bars on my S, and retained the fairing because it was too much hassle to remove it.

As many have said, stick with the naked and enjoy it, better option for new riders anyway.

Whereabouts are you? What type of riding do you do?
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote