SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 12-07-19, 07:26 AM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Cadwell or Donny, 20th August

Am thinking of booking one of these. I've ridden Cadwell a number of times, it's great fun of course. Never been to Donnington, it's £189 vs. 115 for Cadwell. What do you reckon? It looks more fast and flowing so more like Silverstone, which is very different to Cadwell but enjoyable in other ways, even with 80bhp.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 10:13 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cadwell or Donny, 20th August

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Am thinking of booking one of these. I've ridden Cadwell a number of times, it's great fun of course. Never been to Donnington, it's £189 vs. 115 for Cadwell. What do you reckon? It looks more fast and flowing so more like Silverstone, which is very different to Cadwell but enjoyable in other ways, even with 80bhp.
Hi Johnny, I'd be up for a track day round then.
Just looked at the donni circuit, looking at the length of it and moderate curves I'm a bit worried I'd just be nailed from all angles by inline 4s.

I could definitely be talked into it...but think I'd prefer Cadwell at that price. May be try Donnington if there's a deal in the future
Old 12-07-19, 10:17 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Oh scrap that, just looked it up - looks like it's a 98db limit which would make me very hesitant to book Donington. Mine blows 103-105db depending on how forgiving they are on me under revving, I think even with a baffle it would be cutting it fine.
Old 14-07-19, 05:38 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Is it? I hadn't even looked. Are you up for Cadwell then? Re. the type of track at Donny, I've ridden Silverstone a few times, both the International (southern half) and full GP, and it's great fun. Yeah you get killed on the straights but even a slowish bike like the SV can still be fun there. Last tiem I was there there was a silver pointy and blow me they knew their way around, left me for dead - that's the first time another SV has left me behind, not counting my mate's SV700 piloted by a psycho. At Cadwell of course you can mix it with just about anyone if your nuts are big enough! Anyhoo am going to book Cadwell in the inters. What do you think?
Old 15-07-19, 04:51 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

That’s interesting , I’d heard not to attempt silverstone on the Sv for lack of bends - maybe listening to the wrong folk !
Yes I’m up for that , I’ll book on after pay day . I’d love to join another Sv in inters but I’m not massively track proficient so think I’ll book on novice then ask to move up if they deem me worthy
Old 15-07-19, 06:06 PM   #6
Scittyf

Donnington and also mallory are local to me so I've been looking to book in a date to take the sv400. I'll have even less power but that's not the point. It's about fun and honing your own skill
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 08:04 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Mallory is okay but I don't think I'll go back, massive right-hander but a fairly short track. TBH after quite a few track days where there are always people faster than you, I just tune out the big bikes and try to find someone to have a dust-up with. Silverstone has plenty of bends, I think the full track is better but it's looong so you take time to learn it all, but even the International is fun and you get to use Hangar Straight, which is about 30-40% longer than Cadwell's straights. 12 seconds of flat out screaming. I went neck and neck down there once against a GSXR600 hire bike, they weren't using all the revs and braked early, I'm gonna take that one though! Very wide too, twice as wide as Cadwell.
Dave, up to you, I don't know if they move people much and the inters tends to book up first, not many people want to mix it with the fast group in reality. I was put in fast at Silverstone once, they go for it, it's a big track, and yes they were fast, but well behaved and better riders than inters. Less passing space at Cadwell though, I don't want to get in peoples' way, I may have done a few but I'm not that fast really.
Old 15-07-19, 09:32 PM   #8
ASM1

Apologies if this is irrelevant, i used to race many moons ago,and out of any tracks suggested I'd do cadwell park,especially if its the full circuit.,way more fun on something like an sv. I only did Donnington on Yamahas launch of the last Fzr600(showing my age). Found it was too long(if full circuit) to learn in a couple of sessions(though i am a bit thick!)
Had the terrifying pleasure of being taken round the track on the back of a yzf750 with Jim Moody at the helm,i never knew a bike could lean over that far or go that fast (especially 2 up). Made me realise that being mid pack in club racing is a world apart from the top guys.
Whichever you choose,have fun.
ASM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 07:04 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yep full circuit. I did the half circuit many moons ago, they don't seem to offer that any more, that I've seen. I remember it being a same about not riding the Mountain, and the nasty step down half way round the improvised hairpin.
I had one day at the full Brands circuit, know what you mean about length, I guess with Silverstone I'd been a couple of times on the International before the GP so knew part of it. At Brands though I also spent a large part of the day finding my way around. Didn't help that people were riding like morons, and it's a track that favours power even more - the exits of the bends open up like nothing I've seen before.
Old 18-07-19, 08:53 AM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've booked in the inters for 20th at Cadwell. I've got a blue curvy with loads of stickers on the front end (track plastics) and an old blue pickup truck. Just need to figure out now what picture to put on my number plate for the day! Maybe Trump Baby.