SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-19, 01:53 PM   #1
Elbee

Default Gladius braided hoses

Hi, thanks for your time. In an effort to improve my front brakes I've purchased a braided hose kit for my bike. Having just taken a few bits off, I've realised I got the kit without paying regard to the abs system.
I need a completely different kit, don't I? I was pushing the boat out at having a go but think I've misjudged this bit.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 02:37 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gladius braided hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
I need a completely different kit, don't I?

If you have ABS and bought a non ABS kit: Yes. I have an AL7 which is probably similar and the brake line from the master cylinder is flexible but changes to a rigid line at the headstock where it meanders to the rear of the bike where the ABS modulator resides. There's obviously a similar return path which, at the headstock, reverts back to a flexible line which goes down to the caliper.

Here's a pic of the Gladius ABS hose:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...-sfv650a-k9-l4
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 09:28 AM   #3
Elbee

Yeh, thanks for reply. I'm returning the kit. I had completely overlooked the abs side of things.
Old 28-08-19, 09:36 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

you might not get the improvement you expect.Check out this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiPDAr9f8

It might just be a case of better servicing of the brake system.
Old 28-08-19, 10:54 AM   #5
Elbee

Thanks for reply. I don't see the servicing as an issue as it's a 16 plate & FSH. However I will be choosy when it comes to replacing the pads.
As said I'd completely overlooked it has abs, if it hadn't I'm quite comfortable I could have managed the switch.
Perhaps your right, I may well have been disappointed with the improvement, after watching the video it seems any improvement may have been fractional.
Old 28-08-19, 07:39 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Have just replaced brake fluid on my 2016 AL7 using MityVac and they are better than ever and I would be had pressed to justify braided lines for normal road use..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 07:51 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I continual misnomer is that OEM brake lines are,"Rubber".They are not.True rubber brake lines have not been used for near 50 years or more.Even my old Honda's OEM brake lines(nearly 40 years old) have the same internal construction using a inner Polypropylene or similar internal pipe and then synthetic,"Rubber"(Plastic compound) reinforced outer construction and then outer casing same as modern lines.

If I decide to change mine I would go for steel braid covered lines because they are way cheaper and easy to get than OEM and I do like the look of them and have fitted them before to bikes.I don't like the,"Race" style ones that do away with the T-junction so would just buy a couple of the same length ones for the Calipers and a short one to go to the Splitter/T-junction.

Or I might even go for the single down to the right hand side caliper and the double Banjo and short pipe over the Guard to the left-hand caliper which I think is a very tidy set-up

Having done some research on this the above may come a a cost of a little less braking power but as I find the braking on my curvy pretty awesome and the fact I'm still in the habit of covering both brakes this is not a concern to me.Also once or twice a month I practice,"Threshold/Emergency" braking from high speeds so know I can pull up at a fantastic rate

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-08-19 at 07:59 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 08:14 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I would say that so called ' rubber' hoses still have a braids in their construction, of nylon or maybe Kevlar, both of which are better at flexing without suffering metal fatigue like stainless steel braid - and obviously they are designed not to expand when pressure is applied..

And when stainless braid starts to break up it can damage the other layers of the hose.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-08-19 at 08:16 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote