SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-08, 07:07 PM   #1
KillaSV

Default Screw in tyre thread

I did a search and i see some of you have repaired using a plug. My local suzuki dealer strongly recommends me to change the tire as they do not patch um. Whats your guys opinion? I have the Dunlop sportsmax tire which is discontinued now so they gave me a price of 151$ for the dunlop qualifier which mix matches with the sportsmax good they said. Additional 65$ to balance and rotate the new one. The screw is on the flat surface of the tire not in the threads and it is leaking slowly (put alittle dish detergent around the screw).

This is my only transportation right now and i really didnt have the 220$ for a rear tire at the moment. If i can get away with a plug or some kind of spray sealer they use for cars will that get me through for a week or two? i dont do anything crazy on the bike, no wheelies, burnouts, drag racing, speeding. Just normal cruising.

If this is a repost am sorry, just wanted to know your opinions seeing am new still to the motorcycle world
Old 25-03-08, 07:25 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Screw in tire thread

depends on where the puncture is? if it in the middle 1/3rd and not on the shoulders of the tread then have it mended, its the cheapest option and safe too.
Old 25-03-08, 07:50 PM   #3
KillaSV

its dead center of the tire and is on the outer edge of the tire thread. Ive called a suzuki and they telling me its not recommended on a street bike casue the plug can fall out. So called a kawasaki dealer and asked them also and got the same result, either its just not safe or they want there 40$ upcharge for the tire and the service fee. I can get the dunlop qualifier tire for 121$ rather then dealers 151$. Problem is noone wants to do it
Old 25-03-08, 07:53 PM   #4
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaSV View Post
its dead center of the tire and is on the outer edge of the tire thread.
eh?
Old 25-03-08, 07:54 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Have you considered fitting one yourself? Thats way cheaper, $65 to fit a tyre isn't service charge, its a dry bumming.
Old 25-03-08, 07:56 PM   #6
kwak zzr

if its in the middle then it can be fixed unless the laws on puncture repair is diff in the states? a vulcanized mushroom patch cannot fall out?
Old 25-03-08, 08:16 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Are they on about just plugging it from outside though rather than doing it right?
Old 25-03-08, 08:20 PM   #8
kwak zzr

a main stealer should be doing this sort of thing right unless they haven't understood the question correctly?
Old 25-03-08, 08:24 PM   #9
Davie

As long as the side wall is not damaged you can patch it i don't think any bike tyre makers recommend repairs something to do with product liability i think
Old 25-03-08, 08:36 PM   #10
KillaSV

Here's a picture, where its located is my question if its do-able or not. If you guys think its safe i could goto the store and buy a kit to plug it. Hopefully it wont be too much longer till i get a new tire mounted. How long are plugs good for?

The 85$ is too take the bad tire off, mount and balance the new one and put it back on the bike. Sorry wasnt 65$ it was double if i kept the rim on the bike rather then just bringing them the rim.

src="http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...20/screwed.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>