SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-12, 06:51 PM   #1
Longway

Default SV650K3 Brake Pistons - where do you get yours?

Having stripped the calipers down today, there is some slight pitting towards the outside of the pistons and although I could probably get away with reusing them for a while, I think it would be false economy and probably end up costing more in time and seals in the long run, hence I'm after some new piston and seal kits for my SV650K3, can anyone recommend a supplier of decent quality kits at a good price. After searching the net for an hour, prices seem to vary from £73 (not sure what they are made of) for full set delivered up to about £130 for OEM

Cheers

Longway
Old 16-01-12, 02:12 PM   #2
Longway

Default Re: SV650K3 Brake Pistons - where do you get yours?

I've decided to save my money and clean up the existing pistons and seals, since the outer 7mm of the piston never comes into contact with the oil seal I can't see a problem and the seals look as good as new, probably get another year or 2 out of these

Last edited by Longway; 16-01-12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 17-01-12, 06:55 AM   #3
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650K3 Brake Pistons - where do you get yours?

Good morning.

Providing you rub them down thoroughly with fine wet & dry, with plenty of lube, & a decent amount of rubberlube when re-assembling all should be well.

I frequently make replacement caliper pistons. I use 416 grade Stainless Steel. I have seen plenty of aftermarket ones that are of pretty poor quality. Including a set that were slightly oval!

Cheers.