SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-13, 03:42 AM   #1
beabert

Default Large windshield for noise reduction.

Hello all. Ive not been on for ages as ive not used my bike at all.

I have tinnitus and and other ear problems, due to an yet undiagonosed problem, probably menieres. Having ear problems makes one more aware of how delicate they are. When riding my bike i became so anxious about it making my tinnitus worse (Even with good ear plugs) i didnt enjoy it anymore, so just stopped riding completely.

I was going to just sell it but as i dont have a car license i thought why not try a huge screen, i couldnt give a crap how stupid it looks anymore. Some transport is better than nothing. i can only cycle 50 miles before it starts becoming no fun.

Has anyone used a massive screen, in theory is should help alot, but things are often counter intuitive.

Im thinking of something like this, yes its ugly lol. thanks

Old 21-04-13, 07:09 AM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Large windshield for noise reduction.

Sometimes,just sometimes,these larger screens direct the wind on to your visor and it actually increases the wind noise. Having a "Normal" screen offering body protection and a good helmet/visor,something like a Schuberth seems a lot quieter to me. I personally would rather spend my money on a top class helmet knowing that it will be quieter than gamble on a bigger screen which may solve your problem.In an ideal world you can have both but probably looking at about £700
Old 21-04-13, 07:39 AM   #3
savage86

Fitted earplugs?? Meant to be the dogs!
Old 21-04-13, 07:47 AM   #4
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I appreciate it's a different style of bike but I fitted a tall screen to my GS and as mentioned above, it made the problem worse. Air hit my helmet making my head vibrate.
Old 21-04-13, 08:46 AM   #5
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Large windshield for noise reduction.

I have heard of similar problems with some double bubbles, instead of letting the aero design of the lid to its thing, it just shunts the air into your face unless you are always tucked in.

In theory it could work but it would depend how the wind passes it at different speeds, may be good at 50 but useless at 70.
Old 21-04-13, 10:13 AM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

I do a lot of touring, and screens are one of the most commonly discussed items on the forums. As the others say, what works for one person doesn't suit another, it really is a matter of suck it and see if you can't get to try a bike fitted with the one you're considering.

The general trend these days is for screens which let a lot of air up behind them, either by being spaced away from the fairing or having large holes low down. The other type use variable "blades" (see MRA Vario for example) which effectvely do a similar thing by regulating the flow and controlling the turbulence as the air tries to tuck over the top of the screen. A blunt screen will create a low pressure area behind it and it's the air curling round the edges which causes the roaring buffeting type turbulence.

Large screens generally offer good weather prorection rather than noise reduction.

Electric screens are brilliant, you can tweak the position as you ride to suit speed, wind direction etc. I've tried the BMW variants with them and they work really well.

Personally I don't think that screen looks too bad, but I'm odd like that.
Old 21-04-13, 05:22 PM   #7
beabert

Yep as i thought, it could be just a big waste of money ill keep looking on forums for ppl with real world experience of different screens i think, thought id start here. It doesn't look as bad a some, i agree

I can see how allowing a certain amount of air behind would be beneficial. Maybe that screeen with the MRA thing on top. I wouldn't be able to go under low bridges though

Has anyone ridden a goldwing? what is wind noise like on them.
Old 21-04-13, 05:27 PM   #8
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

No not ridden one, but a bloke in our local HOC can smoke a cigar on 60mph A roads on his. Each to his / her own and all that.
Old 22-04-13, 05:54 AM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Have you tried decent custom fit earplugs? I'm not talking squishy foam or those you mould in hot water but real custom plugs. Gunk is injected into your ears and when set makes an impression of your inner ear. These are then used to make the plugs which will be a perfect fit. Not cheap but excellent comfort and soundproofing. I have two pairs. One set with total block and one with 5db bypass filters. I use the bypassed ones when I expect to need to hold some sort of conversation with my lid on eg when I'm coaching.

With them In you can still hear your engine, sirens, hooters etc but pretty much no wind noise at all. If you are that way inclined you can also have speakers in the. For music/phone/satnav etc.

I got mine from UltimateEar over 5 years ago cost about £75 for the two pairs still work perfectly today.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-13, 06:57 AM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

As above, I bought Mr LPH some as a gift and he loves them. Even with his flip front helmet which are known to be noisy he says he doesn't get the wind roaring. And he has awful tinnitus. Says it's a result of me nagging him for 23 years.