SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-06, 07:47 PM   #1
mynameis

Default Which numpty?

Could n't believe it went for a ride out at the weekend came back via south Sheffield and there I find a dual carriageway with a 40 limit, and it was n't running through a residential area. I aim to stick to 30 and 40's and found I was getting overtaken by most cars. How are we supposed to respect the law when the speed limits are so inconsistent. National speed limits in residential areas and 40's in the middle of nowhere. I know some 40's are on roads with bad accident records because of a bad bend or junction. A 30 limit could be put here with plenty of warning for the hazard but why impose 40 for the 1 mile before the hazard and the miles after. So I think the term numpty is being polite. I can only assume they are saving cash on not placing additional speed limit signs. I having nothing against 30's in built up areas and think 20 is appropriate at times, but 40 on a dual carriageway the're just taking the p***. So I am afraid my respect for our governing bodies takes another blow. Yes we are governed by monkeys but sorry you knew that already. Rant over.
Old 06-06-06, 08:07 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, couldn't agree more. If you set appropriate limits, people will obey them. But if you set one inapporopriate limit, people are more likely to speed there, and if you speed there, well why not speed everywhere?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 08:15 PM   #3
lynw

Personally, I think the idea of variable limits are great.

I think the A2 should be. Ok 8am - 9am, no way should it be higher than the 50. Tbh going more than 50 on the bike is too fast at times and more often than not its a 20-40mph ride.

However going home on Friday night at 9pm its empty of traffic and theres no reason it shouldnt revert to a NSL dual carriageway.

I agree with Northwind, if you made it realistic people would respect the limits and not feel the need to break them when its no major risk to do 70 instead of 50.
Old 06-06-06, 08:55 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

The 90% Rule, as it's known...
Old 07-06-06, 09:39 AM   #5
SVeeedy Gonzales

Think the A2 has that daft 50mph thing due to noise pollution on all the people who were daft enough to buy a house that backs onto it, rather than for road safety?
Old 07-06-06, 09:43 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Yep. It's ludicrous. There are roads that are long straights with no turnings that have solid white lines down the middle and are 40 limits, even though close to a ton would be safe there in the right conditions. Then you have an NSL next to a line of terraced houses with kids playing out the front, it really beggars belief.

I think my pet hate re: other vehicle's speed, other than general dawdling, is drivers that do not take on board speed limit changes (or rather, appropriateness of a speed) at all. It's so common to be stuck behind someone doing 40 through an NSL, only to arrive at a 30 and for them to carry on at 40 through the 30, only to exit into the NSL on the other side at 40.
Old 07-06-06, 02:17 PM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
The 90% Rule, as it's known...
Do you mean the 85% Rule as used by traffic engineers?

For those who don't know, or can't remember :P , it's the "rule-of-thumb" guide which, to papaphrase, says that the speed limit should be set to the 85th %-ile speed were there no speed limit on the road.

For example, if, on a given road link, 85% of drivers were measured at 50mph or below then 50mph will be the set speed limit.
Old 07-06-06, 05:57 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Ah, I'd always heard that as 90.
Old 07-06-06, 05:58 PM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Ah, I'd always heard that as 90.
Better as 90......we'd have higher limits then
Old 07-06-06, 06:08 PM   #10
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Think the A2 has that daft 50mph thing due to noise pollution on all the people who were daft enough to buy a house that backs onto it, rather than for road safety?
Id lay odds it being sheer volume of traffic and number of accidents rather than noise pollution tbh.

The A2 was always my "winter" marker. I knew it was start of winter proper when I passed a serious accident daily on my journey in/home.