SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-19, 12:22 PM   #21
Chris_SVS

Default Re: electric motorcycles

^It's just not simple lol
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 03:22 PM   #22
Scittyf

I don't know how you'd swap out the batteries. Have you seem how much a 24 kwh pack weighs. It's not light even in lithium chemistry.

Considering most batteries are now much bigger than that you'd need a good set of dollys to move one.

Also what's not considered here is that you'd have to standardise the packs to a set voltage. Else they wouldn't work across models. Let alone the pack issues mentioned above.

Not saying it can't be done. But no manufacturers are going to agree to a standard.

Each car would need to have similar power outputs and ranges for it all to work.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 03:33 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
I don't know how you'd swap out the batteries. Have you seem how much a 24 kwh pack weighs. It's not light even in lithium chemistry.

Considering most batteries are now much bigger than that you'd need a good set of dollys to move one.

Also what's not considered here is that you'd have to standardise the packs to a set voltage. Else they wouldn't work across models. Let alone the pack issues mentioned above.

Not saying it can't be done. But no manufacturers are going to agree to a standard.

Each car would need to have similar power outputs and ranges for it all to work.
Agree, the 500Kg battery pack in a Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander will get you about 20 miles on a good day ( a warm day ) with a full battery, after that the engine is dragging around half a tonne of dead weight... at maybe 30mpg, how they are allowed to claim 145 MPG is beyond me.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 05:28 PM   #24
Scittyf

I guess you could claim that the average commute is 13 miles each way. So if the battery holds up 20 miles of the 26 mile round trip then technically the last 6 miles at 30mpg may well be close the 145 mpg total.

Thing is you can split figures to say what you want really.

Electric vehicles are great for long commutes. As others have described. The problem is though. None of the reasonably priced ones are any good at this currently.

The ones that are good at it are so expensive you might as well have a diesel car and know you'll be able to make more than two hours drive time in what ever weather.

I've often thought about getting an ev. But cost wise means I run a 1.6 diesel because cost per mile is roughly 10p all year round. I do roughly 18k a year mostly at 70 mph. Which ev are currently terrible at motorway speeds.

They will get there. Just not yet in the UK.

Norwich countries have made it work. But that's because of huge tax breaks. Making it more economical viable to have electric.
Until that happens in the UK Ev will remain a minority.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote