SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-14, 10:08 AM   #1
Vinc

Default Aftermarket road legal full exhaust system for Pointy?

Hi Guys.

Is there such a thing as a full exhaust system for the sv650 which is road legal in the UK?

I dont have the OEM system, and need to replace the full racing system I have. Can I avoid buying a second hand OEM, for the sake of the pipes?

Cheers
Old 19-02-14, 10:17 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Aftermarket road legal full exhaust system for Pointy?

Can't you just whack an E-marked can on it? That's really the legal bit, you could make your own headers out of toilet rolls and it would still pass an MoT with an E-marked can. Otherwise to be honest a full system is an expensive thing, you'd be better buying a secondhand OE one and changing the can if you must.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 10:19 AM   #3
atassiedevil

Is the end can detachable? If so, just replace that for a more road legal one.
Problem solved.
Others will be along shortly to discuss the merits of their preferred systems and finishes
Old 19-02-14, 10:24 AM   #4
Vinc

For some background: I have a full m4 highmount system. For practical reasons I want a std mount, but I cant get different link pipes from M4, they dont do conversions from highmount to std.

Johnnyrod: It's not the MOT I am worried about - for some reason I passed that just fine the last time around.

atassiedevil: I could probably remove it at the link pipe, but the down pipes are custom aswell, so I doubt they would play well with others.
Old 19-02-14, 11:06 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Get someone to make you a low level link pipe if the headers have a seperate link pipe, I'm not familiar with the M4 pipework.

Or get a set of OEM header pipes & stick your end can on them.

They're stainless, so will polish up nicely, so don't be put off by cruddy pipes going cheap
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 11:23 AM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I'm sure you could find someone to take your full race system in exchange for their full standard system.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 11:40 AM   #7
atassiedevil

Is this a curvy or pointy by the way? End cans come up quite cheaply, and i am sure you could find a set of original downpipes for not too much on ebay. Yes, it would be mix and match, but it would keep the price down.
Old 19-02-14, 12:43 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I would think the collector and link pipe are in one piece. As said aboce you'll get a decent price if you sell the whole system, it's probably a few kg lighter than OE but does that bother you? Either that or you could (get someone to) chop off the link pipe and make up a new one welded to your collector, so it sits in the right place. If you were feeling flush you could even think about coverting it to underseat while you were at it! A couple of folk even went for the stubby GSXR style, no idea how.

I think Micron used to do a full system? Akro do/did, but not sure if it's E marked.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 12:44 PM   #9
Vinc

Nobbylad: I am sure I could - but it would probably work out in my favour if I just sold the system fair and square, with the Power Commander that has been mapped to it

This is a 2006 S, pointy

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I will go down the route of a used OEM system, and then a new end can
Old 19-02-14, 12:46 PM   #10
Vinc

Johnnyrod, and underseat exhaust for an sv650? Surely you would need new tail lights then?

I will ask Micron if they still do a full road legal system. Otherwise I will get something old, and something new and stitch it together in a happy marriage