SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-11-05, 06:06 PM   #1
BURNER

Default It's big, it's orange and I can get both feet on the ground.

You can keep your GS clunky beemers, this baby is the one I want.

In the latest issue of RiDE they compare the beemer to the BUELL ullysses. Of course the GS beats it. I reckon they don't have the guts to put the 950 up against the GS.

Found out why the 2 filler caps make sense, means you don't have to move the tank bag when you fill the tanks
Old 11-11-05, 06:38 PM   #2
kwak zzr

nice! have always liked the big KTM.
Old 11-11-05, 06:41 PM   #3
BURNER

I'm thinking a test ride is in order, I spent about an hour on the KTM stand at the NEC and this was the bike that captured most of my attention.
Old 11-11-05, 07:05 PM   #4
Anonymous

Default Re: It's big, it's orange and I can get both feet on the gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNER
In the latest issue of RiDE they compare the beemer to the BUELL ullysses. Of course the GS beats it. I reckon they don't have the guts to put the 950 up against the GS.
Catch up, big boy!

The 950 beats the GS in a recent Bike report. The GS spanks the bum of most big trailies on the tarmac, and is a fine fine touring enduro machine. The 950 is a different beast altogether, with its feet firmly planted on the rougher stuff. Its more hardcore than the GS no doubt, and takes more skill to ride hard. If I lived in Arizona, Nevada etc I'd definitely use the 950*. Here, and in most of europe and for going any distance the GS is the tool (for me).

*actually there's a 990 on its way, plus ABS. At MIlan show so pics any day.

Fine bikes tho and the 990 will be interesting. There's issues with these beasts tho, they are not without their troubles.

If you are seriously interested www.advrider GSpot and Orange Crush sections will tell you all you need to know. There's guys there that own both

Now the Uly is an interesting thing. The initial interest seems to have cooled off a lot and I think it could be that it just doesnt really do any job as well as other things on the market. Its less an unpaved road bike than a strom or capo etc or so it seems. The thing with a GS is that you can ride it most anywhere where anything big can be taken. The 950 extends that somewhat, and perhaps brings less in at the tarmac end of the sepctrum. What does the Uly bring to the table?...and its about £8300 Thats only a few hundred less than the non-ABS GS and probably similar money to the 950. Thats too much money for looks alone.
Old 11-11-05, 07:10 PM   #5
Cloggsy

Quote:

You can keep your GS clunky beemers, this baby is the one I want
You know it makes sense
Old 11-11-05, 07:32 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

The Ulysses just doesn't make any sense to meon so many levels. The spec's blatantly bad for an offroader, and there's too many vulnerable parts- plus, I don't see that (brilliant) engine and that (stinkingly awful) gearbox and clutch adding up to a good off road experience.

Fair enough though, these bikes never realyl go offroad. But then, the Buell engine's vibes would peobably kill you on a long motorway ride, so it's not suc a good street bike either. The engine and general attitude might be more fun than the GS, but it sacrifices a load of that with its ergonomics and weight.

Maybe that's just me, though. I love the totally naked Buells, the City X most of all, but I don't see that any of the things that makes them brilliant has any place on a big trailie.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 07:43 PM   #7
BURNER

Yes I know about the BiKE report, what I was talking about was RiDE and their almost reverent way of talking about the GS, especially with Charlie Boorman writing for them.
The 950 being a btter bike than the GS is old news, but RiDE don't seem to have the guts to put the GS to the test against it. They'd upset most of their bearded readership. Picking on the obvious newcomer that is an oddball choice from the onset seems like a safe way to assure themselves that the GS is all conquering.

The water pumps issues have been resolved, the people bleating about them on ADV forums should have had those old models fixed by now.

If you're on a GS, I'd be more worried about your drive shaft if I was you. Any funny noises?
Little oil spills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Quote:
Catch up, big boy!

The 950 beats the GS in a recent Bike report. The GS spanks the bum of most big trailies on the tarmac, and is a fine fine touring enduro machine. The 950 is a different beast altogether, with its feet firmly planted on the rougher stuff. Its more hardcore than the GS no doubt, and takes more skill to ride hard. If I lived in Arizona, Nevada etc I'd definitely use the 950*. Here, and in most of europe and for going any distance the GS is the tool (for me).

Fine bikes tho and the 990 will be interesting. There's issues with these beasts tho, they are not without their troubles.

If you are seriously interested www.advrider GSpot and Orange Crush sections will tell you all you need to know. There's guys there that own both

Now the Uly is an interesting thing. The initial interest seems to have cooled off a lot and I think it could be that it just doesnt really do any job as well as other things on the market. Its less an unpaved road bike than a strom or capo etc or so it seems. The thing with a GS is that you can ride it most anywhere where anything big can be taken. The 950 extends that somewhat, and perhaps brings less in at the tarmac end of the sepctrum. What does the Uly bring to the table?...and its about £8300 Thats only a few hundred less than the non-ABS GS and probably similar money to the 950. Thats too much money for looks alone.
Old 11-11-05, 08:00 PM   #8
Anonymous

Quote:
Yes I know about the BiKE report, what I was talking about was RiDE and their almost reverent way of talking about the GS, especially with Charlie Boorman writing for them.
The 950 being a btter bike than the GS is old news, but RiDE don't seem to have the guts to put the GS to the test against it. They'd upset most of their bearded readership. Picking on the obvious newcomer that is an oddball choice from the onset seems like a safe way to assure themselves that the GS is all conquering.

The water pumps issues have been resolved, the people bleating about them on ADV forums should have had those old models fixed by now.

If you're on a GS, I'd be more worried about your drive shaft if I was you. Any funny noises?
Little oil spills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Quote:
Catch up, big boy!

I honestly dont quite see your point here. Is it:
a. You hate the GS
b. You love the 950
c. You dont like Ride magazine?

Your comparing two bikes you have never ridden, are adament that the 950 is a better bike than the GS (which for some things it is, no question) and you clearly arnt up to speed with issues on either machine. Both have and have had issues. With all respect read the stuff on Adv forums...those guys actually use these machines hard, and some of those 'bleaters' as you put it know what they are talking about. The 950 (nor the GS) isnt a perfect bike. BOTH fail, mildly and catestrophically. Fact.
Old 12-11-05, 11:11 AM   #9
BURNER

I've ridden 3 previous versions of the GS, off road too. Hated them.
Maybe you shouldn't be tarring everybody on here with the same newbie brush
Old 12-11-05, 05:22 PM   #10
Anonymous

Quote:
I've ridden 3 previous versions of the GS, off road too. Hated them.
Maybe you shouldn't be tarring everybody on here with the same newbie brush
Why be so argumentative?

Well I'm sorry..... but you didnt seem to mention that until now.
I am well aware you are not a newbie , but whatever. Lets hope Ride does the head to head soon and then perhaps we will have the definitive answer

What's Charlie Boorman done to you anyhow? Poor guys only riden round the world on a GS, let him enthuse a little about it, eh? (and who cares if he's in the pay of BMW, so what).

Go buy your KTM, its great, you will be happy. I mean that sincerely.