SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-06, 06:22 PM   #1
nickj

Default Time for a change.....

Finally took the plunge today.

Am swapping the SV for a 2003 Kwak ZXR 636.

Took it for a test ride and it was amazing, just goes ballistic and corners superbly.

Does mean that i will have a set of twin renegade cans for sale on ebay soon, anyone have a clue on what a full system is worth? They have been on my 2001 curvy.
Old 22-04-06, 06:26 PM   #2
Peter Henry

Kawasaki 636? ohhh yes!
Old 22-04-06, 06:30 PM   #3
Toypop

Nice one bud, what model year are you getting? Is that one of the last A models or one of the early B models?

If its the latter then you better get a powerball and start doing a hundred press-ups a day.
Old 22-04-06, 06:44 PM   #4
nickj

Think it's the early B model, not sure though

Just awesome to ride, i've not grinned that much in ages, got to get used to an IL4 though.

It gives you so much more confidence in corners as well.

TBH i didn't find it as harsh as everyone says either, the powers there when you want it but i thought it was good around town as well.
Old 22-04-06, 06:50 PM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop
If its (a B1H / B2H) then you better get a powerball and start doing a hundred press-ups a day.
He's right you know.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-06, 07:02 PM   #6
Toypop

How many miles did you do on your test ride?

I was fine riding home 5 miles from the dealers but when I did my first proper ride and got to about 20 miles I was in serious pain!

The problem is that due to a flawed design you can't twist the clutch and brake levers down enough so you get pain in your wrists on long rides. I now have to clutchless upshift all the time and kind of hold the bars funny when I clutch to change down.

Also wait til you are decelerating and hit a bump! It chucks you up off the seat and you land balls first on the tank.

Have fun!

Actually I envy you in a way as I have never taken the thing over 5krpm so don't really know what it can do yet.

Totally agree with you about corners. I don't know where people get this idea that SV's can stick with sports bikes through the twisties. The confidence difference between the two bikes when cornering is just beyond belief. The SV isn't bad, but the Ninja just wants to fall over and tip you off the side of the seat. You could get your knee down without trying.
Old 22-04-06, 07:10 PM   #7
nickj

Sounds like i'm going to have a lot of fun getting used to it then

I took it out for about 30 mins which i know is not long but didn't feel uncomfortable once, prob my beer gut resting on the tank that does it!

I thought i was thrashing it when i first got on it and heard the engine, looked at the revs and wasn't even half way round! If your not able to take yours over 5k yet then your going to love it even more when you can, it goes nuts in the higher revs.
Old 22-04-06, 07:13 PM   #8
Toypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj
Sounds like i'm going to have a lot of fun getting used to it then

I took it out for about 30 mins which i know is not long but didn't feel uncomfortable once, prob my beer gut resting on the tank that does it!

I thought i was thrashing it when i first got on it and heard the engine, looked at the revs and wasn't even half way round! If your not able to take yours over 5k yet then your going to love it even more when you can, it goes nuts in the higher revs.
Yeah its getting right on my t*ts having to let hairdressers and chavs overtake me as I have a top speed of 50mph at the moment! Of course riding slowly and having to stick to slow roads with more stopping and starting just exaggerates the flaws with the ergonomics.

The gearbox isn't as good as the SV's is it. Or didn't you notice?

The high revving sound is mad. My Bandit and SV both sounded to be revving at 5krpm when they were at 5krpm if that makes sense. The ZX6 though sounds like its at 10krpm by Bandit and SV standards but you look down at its at 4k or something!

One little thing for you to do when you get it, don't wear earplugs and ride it under a bridge or through a tunnel!!! It sounds sexual!
Old 22-04-06, 07:22 PM   #9
nickj

I thought the gear box was better tbh but time will tell on that one.

Am i right in thinking that they have a slipper clutch as well?

I know what you mean with the revving, usually you can tell by the noise but i didn't have a clue, i found the rev counter a bit hard to see as well.

As for the tunnel, not sure it will beat a twin with renegade cans but i'll give it a go!
Old 22-04-06, 07:25 PM   #10
Toypop

No only the new shape version with underseat exhaust has a slipper.

The 600cc ZX6RR of our shape had a slipper though.

Coming from a V-Twin though you won't need one and the fact that you thought it had one backs that up!