SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-11, 03:55 PM   #1
LucyR

Default Help? Non starter SV.

A red oil light is now permanently on display (pointy K5s) and the wheels have locked up and the engine won't start. I'm very new to biking and alone at home.

This happened just as I was trying to put it away but as it is stuck in a narrow doorway I can't get it on the stand and have had to lean it against a wall with my coat!

It also means the bike shed is open to the world. I can't seem to find out what's wrong. All the oil levels are fine. Help will be on hand I hope in about 1.5hrs but if anyone knows what I can try in the meantime, much appreciated!!!!!???
Old 30-01-11, 04:05 PM   #2
mcgrimes

Default Re: Help??

Most likely not the issue, but worth considering; you havnt left it in gear have you?
Old 30-01-11, 04:05 PM   #3
phi-dan

Does the neutral light come on? If not you may have knocked it into gear which will make it hard to push. Re. starting - check the kill switch?

Just a few of the things I have heard of other people doing / done too many times myself (delete as appropriate)
Old 30-01-11, 04:08 PM   #4
LucyR

checked the kill switch already (as yes I have done that before)... will go and double check the gears. It's a tight bricked doorway and I have to watch the fairings and the exhaust and reverse it in..... so it's highly likely!
Old 30-01-11, 04:15 PM   #5
Specialone

Check the obvious stuff as said, I was gonna ask about the oil cos from the first statement I suspected a seized engine, I hope it's not.
Old 30-01-11, 04:21 PM   #6
LucyR

ok, quite embarrassed but you live and learn, it was in gear. D'oh! The oil light threw me, that's what it was.....

BUT the oil light is still on and the engine still won't start. But, right this second, just pleased to have it in, on the stand and the bike shed locked to the world. I wouldn't want the R1, that doesn't belong to me, to go astray on my watch!!!

So I shall now go and ponder this little red light!! Thanks for the replies peeps
Old 30-01-11, 04:42 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

The oil light is an oil PRESSURE light, NOT oil level. It is on when the engine is stopped and there's no pressure, once the engine turns over and runs it MUST go out. If it doesn't go out with the engine running, STOP it immediately. This of course leads on to the fact that you must check the oil level regularly, but that's another issue.

OK, chances are it won't start simply because of one of the safety features, there's a switch on the clutch and another on the sidestand which will stop you starting it under the right cicumstances.

Best way to double check is make sure the gears are in neutral and the neutral light is on, put the sidestand up, pull the clutch lever in and hold it there, and then try to start it. If it still doesn't turn when you push the button then one or other switch might be faulty (not that unusual), or it could be another problem like the switch, but at least try to rule out the easy stuff first.
Old 30-01-11, 04:48 PM   #8
glang

Hi Lucy. Relax cant be too much wrong. Oil light is always on cos theres no pressure until u start the engine. As already said check the kill switch is reset, pull in the clutch lever and try a start.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-11, 05:01 PM   #9
LucyR

yes, it would seem everything is A OK now thanks to everyone's helpful advice to a novice!!

No red light and engine starts fine. I did find it hard to believe anything was wrong with it as I had been out for a 2 hour ride.... so logic (or stupidity?) prevails

Feel like a right tool. But I've learnt a lot!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 30-01-11, 05:11 PM   #10
Specialone

Don't feel bad, everyone on here has done at least one of the silly things we normally take for granted.
Fair to say you probably won't fall for them again so positive outcome in the end.