SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-13, 01:36 PM   #21
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Sat Nav minefield!

Its only bike dedicated ones that transmit the instruction
nothing stopping you from opening it up and fitting a jack plug socket form the speaker.
Old 05-03-13, 01:20 AM   #22
OWhite

Get a decent sat nav app on your iPhone, put it in your pocket and plug in your earphones.

Works an absolute dream for me and would recommend to anyone!
Old 05-03-13, 01:41 AM   #23
ejohnh

I've had a Garmin Zumo since 2007. Been all over Europe and Northern Spain with it. If you do get the Garmin, get hold of the Mapsource software together with Mapinstall and Basecamp. Get a 4G SD card to go with it or you wont have room for the full Europe maps. Don't install the Garmin Express software because it's rubbish that wont install to your PC, and you need it to do that before transferring it to your SD card.
Old 05-03-13, 09:33 PM   #24
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Have tried using the phone, some reasonable apps out there for it.

Also borrowed a garmin from a local motorcycle hire company, much better as the bluetooth instructions are much handy! only problem was the mount he had supplied was broken so didnt charge it. It fitted on top of the fuel tank, replaced 3 or 4 of the screws to mount it.

I have a universal "mount" for car sat navs, essentially it puts a normal car nav unit in it and zips up, made out of wetsuit material as far as i can tell. has long velcro straps to strap it to the top yoke. has a little pokey thing you can put on your finger to operate the nav unit under the plastic. got it off ebay from a place called satnav easy.

Good hunting
PyroUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 09:53 PM   #25
Fallout
Mega Poster

I've gone for the TomTom Urban Rider Europe. Not prepared to shell out all the way for a top of the line Garmin and have always had good experience with TomTom (plus read favourable reviews). Will report back on whether it's any good.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 09:59 PM   #26
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Is it better than the Tomtom you took to York? The one that didn't have any motorways built after 1987 on it?
Old 05-03-13, 10:03 PM   #27
robh539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Is it better than the Tomtom you took to York? The one that didn't have any motorways built after 1987 on it?
yeah this one covers europe upto 87
Old 05-03-13, 10:04 PM   #28
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Surely that's more down to the user not updating it than a failure of the machine itself?
Old 05-03-13, 10:06 PM   #29
Fallout
Mega Poster

Presactly. It was about 10 years old and I never paid for new maps. I think it did damn well to last that long!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 06:08 PM   #30
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
Garmin zumo660 is the dogs dangles, expensive but great. if its something you really want or need always buy the best you can afford.

Old thread bump... has anyone got any long term experience of Garmin Satnavs? Is the Zumo 660 still decent or have things got a lot better in the last couple of years?

I've been trying to use apps recently and not getting on great with them. Rever is the most promising but it doesn't do any rerouting if you make a mistake, instead making you do u-turns and carry on the exact planned route. Once thing I like about just using Google or Apple Maps is that they adjust on the fly, so you decide to veer off route and it reworks the route for you to take you back on at a different point, instead of insisting on u-turns.

I do like to rely on voice instructions rather than looking at a screen though, for safety reasons and also as I find a screen in front can take you away from the ride sometimes.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote