SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-12, 11:35 AM   #1
doofus4000

Default Newbie oil, levers and fairing .

Hello all,

Just got myself and '05 SV650 in blue and she is a weapon coming from a 125!

Anyway I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can give me your opinion on..

I want to give the bike an oil change before I start using her. What is your recommendation for the brand and type of oil and filter and where do you usually buy?

The front brake lever is scraped and I want to replace it. I see lots of nice looking levers on eBay at decent prices, would these be worth a go or our they cheap crap? Is there a type of brake lever the majority of people tend to replace their stock levers with?

I have the naked bike and looking a set of full fairings. Been keeping an eye on 2nd hand ones coming up but they seem rare. Where is the cheapest place to get a new set and is there much to fitting them?

Also need to replace both tyres. What tyre do you prefer on your SV? I was going to replace with a set of BT016's.

Sorry if these seem like stupid newbie questions, all my past experience has been with cars! Thanks
Old 13-05-12, 02:09 PM   #2
MJC-DEV

Default Re: Newbie with a few questions

You are in luck as all your questions have answers in the forum if you search.

1. Oil and filter - read fixed threat (sticky) at top of this section (SV Talk) [called Engine oil for your SV], buy from anywhere that sell oil such as Halfords, car parts shops, bike dealers or web etc.
2. levers, read reviews of Ebay/Chinese levers in the Hardware section with photos.
3. Don't know but search forum.
4. Tyres: Read reviews in Hardware/tyre section and lot of recent threats asking the same question. BT016 probably not on many people list to fit, most would recommend something else.

One last point: If all else fails, Suzuki Dealers sell Suzuki parts and can generally advise.

Last edited by MJC-DEV; 13-05-12 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote