SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-14, 07:11 PM   #31
JulesW

Default Re: Supermarket vs. branded petrol.. your opinion?

I've read of sand and water being found in cheap 'no brand' petrol.
Old 19-01-14, 07:18 PM   #32
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You'd be bloody unlucky. More likely some sort of fault at the petrol station to allow that.
Old 19-01-14, 07:20 PM   #33
Heorot

I just put a new silencer box on my "R" reg Inpreza Turbo that I have had from new. I only changed it because the internal baffles had worked loose and made a horrendous noise on startup and idle. All the other pipes are original (15 yrs old).

On the subject of leaded, my first "sports" car was a Colt Celeste 1.6. I was putting 4* in it until I read the handbook and found that it was intended to run on 2*. It actually ran better on 2* than 4*.

I had a Honda CG when I was learning and was putting Tesco 99 in it. After a year of doing this, I did what everyone said was impossible. I blew up the engine - IN A HONDA..

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-14, 07:20 PM   #34
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Sand and water is poor or failed tanks on the forecourt.
Total did forget to purge out water from a tanker about 15 years ago up here and they did admit it.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-14, 07:22 PM   #35
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesW View Post
some people may have found that!!,but i only change the fuel filter on my car every 40/50k and have never had a fuel filter get blocked,and have only had rust in motorcycle filters,down to old age and condensation
Old 19-01-14, 07:32 PM   #36
Haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesW View Post
Our Grand Scenic diesel was having injection issues, it had injectors and fuel pump replaced under warranty before the garage decided to check the tank, when taken off they found a shed load of slit\sand and the bottom.

The missus used various petrol stations so we could not tie it down but I did ban her from filling up at Morrisons.
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-14, 07:38 PM   #37
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haircut View Post
Our Grand Scenic diesel was having injection issues, it had injectors and fuel pump replaced under warranty before the garage decided to check the tank, when taken off they found a shed load of slit\sand and the bottom.

The missus used various petrol stations so we could not tie it down but I did ban her from filling up at Morrisons.
thats not good,but in theory you cant bugger a pump or injectors with sand or water in the tank,the fuel fliter will stop this from happening,thats not to say if the filter is blocked a warning light will come on and if left the motor will stop from lack of fuel
Old 19-01-14, 08:40 PM   #38
Haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
thats not good,but in theory you cant bugger a pump or injectors with sand or water in the tank,the fuel fliter will stop this from happening,thats not to say if the filter is blocked a warning light will come on and if left the motor will stop from lack of fuel

Renault Diesels are known for throwing up injector faults at the slightest pressure drop, in this case at the start it was the pump damage and crud in the lines up to the filter.
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-14, 08:48 PM   #39
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I dunno fuel filters only go down to 5 microns or so, and they can only catch so much water before some gets through.

You also find that when a pump fooks up all those bits of pump end up going back down the fuel return line.

Also just for more fun fuel made by cat cracking or similar has free radicals in it that can recombine back into plastic like bits in the tank (as I understand it).

This was my fuel strainer after about ooooh 27,000 litres of fuel

No idea what all that crap was or where it came from.
Old 19-01-14, 08:56 PM   #40
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I dunno fuel filters only go down to 5 microns or so, and they can only catch so much water before some gets through.

You also find that when a pump fooks up all those bits of pump end up going back down the fuel return line.

Also just for more fun fuel made by cat cracking or similar has free radicals in it that can recombine back into plastic like bits in the tank (as I understand it).

This was my fuel strainer after about ooooh 27,000 litres of fuel

No idea what all that crap was or where it came from.
maybe domestic and idustrial stuff is to a different spec,the john deere stuff we used to run(all common rail)im fairly certain the fuel filters went down to 1 or maybe 2 microns