SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-03-08, 01:27 PM   #1
Hockeynut

Default Help please!: Pay as you go insurance (Need 1 month's worth)

So, I've found the bike I want, a CBR 600FS. The dealer won't hold it at theirs for a month. The big problem is that my current insurer won't change me to it as it's too high a spec bike without having first year's NCB finished (1 month left). So I can't PX my current one in either as I'd have to cancel my insurance and then I'd lose my first years NCB.

So the only solution I can think of is to buy the new bike outright and hold onto the SV for another month too so that my 1st year NCB can finish.

This means I need to insure the new bike with a short term pay as you go insurance for 1 month only. (Found these will do it for 80quid for the month, https://www.egroup-insurance.com). Does anyone know of any others who offer this or any other options?

Also heard of something called laidup insurance, but not found much on that.

Advice urgently appreciated, as I want to put the deposit down on it!

Thanks,
David
Old 21-03-08, 01:34 PM   #2
neio79

Default Re: Help please!: Pay as you go insurance (Need 1 month's worth)

as far a i know ebike are the only ones who do the policy on a month by month basis, they are good tho. I am with them and had no problems at all.
Old 21-03-08, 01:36 PM   #3
Razor

take out new insurance policy, normal term, agree to pay in installments and then cancel after a month, probably cheapest way to do it.
Old 21-03-08, 01:44 PM   #4
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
take out new insurance policy, normal term, agree to pay in installments and then cancel after a month, probably cheapest way to do it.
nope cos they will hammer you with a cancellation fee!!!
Old 21-03-08, 02:10 PM   #5
ScottishRawker

im sure there was a thread before where someone mentioned a day by day insurance and a place that does one day for free,

searched but cant find it
ScottishRawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-08, 02:52 PM   #6
muffles

So the dealer won't even hold it for you at theirs if you buy it outright? Assuming that is the case, have you looked at who you are going to be renewing with next year - Express, when I insured with them last year, were able to start the policy early on the assumption I'd get the 1 year's NCB later. I.e. my old policy finished on the 27th April but my new one started on the 15th April, with 1 year's NCB.

I am surprised the dealer won't hold it even if it's paid for - possibly you could ask a friend to hold it in his garage?
Old 21-03-08, 04:36 PM   #7
Hockeynut

No, they wouldn't hold it past the end of March (Prolly financial year end n all that jazz). I'll just have to keep the SV for 1 month extra. But I've put my deposit down now and am going for it.

Got a few days to work out the best way to handle the insurance. Thanks for the advice so far.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...95#post1452895
Old 21-03-08, 05:00 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Got somewhere secure to keep it for a month?If so dont insure it until you get your ncd.
Old 21-03-08, 07:56 PM   #9
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
No, they wouldn't hold it past the end of March (Prolly financial year end n all that jazz).
I meant actually handing over the money and doing the sale now but them keeping the bike until you are ready to take delivery. That can't be anything to do with financials since they'll have the money & the sale now. However if you've sorted it already no need to worry about that
Old 28-03-08, 03:01 PM   #10
Hockeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Assuming that is the case, have you looked at who you are going to be renewing with next year - Express, when I insured with them last year, were able to start the policy early on the assumption I'd get the 1 year's NCB later. I.e. my old policy finished on the 27th April but my new one started on the 15th April, with 1 year's NCB.
That's a blinding bit of advice, thanks Muffles!!!

Phoned them up, they offered me the 1 year NCB discount as it was within 30 days of it coming up. Not only that, they did me a great deal, best by a mile, not only on price, but excellent features. Well happy, thanks for the tip about Express Muffles.