SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-07, 06:46 PM   #1
New Leaf

Default Sprint ST.

WoW - I had a test ride on a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 today. What an amazing bike. I nearly signed on the dotted line there and then, but i managed to resist. I gotta ride a VFR and a Ducati ST3 before i make my mind up. However, i can't really see anything else beating the Sprint ST. It had loads of power, but was really smooth with it, and was so comfortable. Anybody else ridden one?
Old 30-06-07, 06:58 PM   #2
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sprint ST.

Not yet, but it's one of the bikes I would love to upgrade to. I'm looking at CBF1000's a lot. The value for money for a 6 month old is astonishing! Just look on Autotrader
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-07, 07:21 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

I've liked these from the off, sporty, plenty of power, comfy, looks luberly and could go around the world. I'll have one of these to do my touring on please?
Old 30-06-07, 07:36 PM   #4
Essex of Essex

Red face Re: Sprint ST.

I've had one for the last 12 months/8600 miles, I love it; lots of grunt comfortable and very enjoyable. I had a 995 before and a SV-S when I came back to bikes after many years away, go try the others but it's a difficult act to beat.
Old 30-06-07, 08:06 PM   #5
Lou M

Funnily enough I've been to look at the Speed Triple and Tiger today, Mr Lou was thinking of the Tiger till he saw the CBF1000.

I was thinking of the Speed Triple, but think I'm going to try both, but you've started me thinking about the Sprint now. We're going to take a day off and go and test ride all of these.

I've currently got the 955 Triple and love it, so am worried that the new 1050 won't be able to match up to expectations.

Lou x
Old 30-06-07, 10:02 PM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf View Post
WoW - I had a test ride on a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 today. What an amazing bike. I nearly signed on the dotted line there and then, but i managed to resist. I gotta ride a VFR and a Ducati ST3 before i make my mind up. However, i can't really see anything else beating the Sprint ST. It had loads of power, but was really smooth with it, and was so comfortable. Anybody else ridden one?
I work at a Triumph dealers, they're dead reliable and the build quality is superb. We get so few problems with all the 1050 Triumphs that I can't pin one incident down that would give me cause for concern. They must be good, our parts manager just bought his second one out of his own money. I've loved every one I've ridden and reckon a Sprint ST 1050 will be my next road bike.
Old 30-06-07, 10:05 PM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou M View Post
I've currently got the 955 Triple and love it, so am worried that the new 1050 won't be able to match up to expectations.

Lou x
You'll love the 1050 Striple, unless you want to strap throwovers to the back. It's everything the 955i was and more everywhere. I wish I could find a spare 1050 engine for my 955i Daytona.
Old 30-06-07, 10:40 PM   #8
Jelster

I tried but couldn't get on with it. Took one out twice, 2nd time for four hours. The mirrors vibrated so much that they were pointless, I found the speedo hard to read, the suspension "wallowed" in roundabouts, and most of all, the brakes were awful. The bike had done less than 500 miles.

Was comfortable, and roomy, plus it sounded great.

Now, to be fair, this was over two years ago, but I really wanted to like it and just couldn't get on with it. I am used to sports bikes, which may explain the brakes and the suspension.

Old 30-06-07, 10:47 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
I tried but couldn't get on with it. Took one out twice, 2nd time for four hours. The mirrors vibrated so much that they were pointless, I found the speedo hard to read, the suspension "wallowed" in roundabouts, and most of all, the brakes were awful. The bike had done less than 500 miles.

Was comfortable, and roomy, plus it sounded great.

Now, to be fair, this was over two years ago, but I really wanted to like it and just couldn't get on with it. I am used to sports bikes, which may explain the brakes and the suspension.

You should try another one, that's not my experience of the 20 odd I've ridden.
Old 01-07-07, 09:46 AM   #10
K

A mate of mine got a new one a couple of months ago - absolutely loved it. Said it was a great improvement over his previous 3 year old one.
He's looking to pick another new one in a few weeks...

... as soon as the insurance is sorted from his being stolen a couple of weeks ago.

Lozzo - do you work at Flitwick Motorcycles by any chance?