SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-12, 11:45 AM   #1
formula400

Default bike won't start again

right before i had problems last winter with my starting in the extreme cold, had the plugs changed and the battery is 1 year old now,

wedneday i did it again, left the parking lights on, i hate that can that last little turn be removed from the ignition ???? got the aa out to start and he jumped it and i went home, but on the way home the rev counter and speedo were just jumping up and down, and then when not moving seemed to show the correct revs, and when i set off again they started to jump, fuel light was blinking as well, i went for a 15 mile ride to try and charge the battery, i got home and switched off and it would not even try to start off the thumb starter, it bumped started though..

would i be right in thinking this is a reg/rec prob??? there £90 on weemoto.
Old 22-09-12, 03:30 PM   #2
sunshine

Default Re: bike won't start again

i would be thinking that there needs to be an investigation into the problems.

1. battery condition and reg/rec readings using a multi-meter? try charging the battery if it doesnt hold charge then this would indicate needing a new battery the reg/rec test will tell you if that needs replacing

2. now does the rev/speedo still have a problem?
Old 22-09-12, 06:18 PM   #3
formula400

i need to get a multi meter, last time the aa come out they used theres and it was reading high 12 or low 13.
Old 22-09-12, 06:26 PM   #4
sunshine

for a battery with tick over that sounds good to me. For max output on a reg/rec at 5krpm its time to get a new reg/rec and its best to get a cbr from what i remember im sure searching reg/rec on here will throw up a thousand results each suggesting the world will end unless you replace it with a cbr unit
Old 23-09-12, 11:26 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Multi meter-----£2.75 on Ebay delivered
Old 23-09-12, 11:57 AM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Your based in London, the Soho group are quite close by and are very helpful if you need some help/input.

What have you checked/changed so far?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-12, 12:10 PM   #7
formula400

cheers biggles ill get one on order.

daddy job.... this seems to be an on going thing, last year it was not starting when it was very cold, problem 3 for about 6-7 months until the other morning when it took and few more thumb starts than normal to get it to start, then next day at work i must of left the key switched to the parking light position, can't be 100% though., would't even try to turn over, when he batteries dead it usually makes that really quick clicking noise but it made none, aa come out and used a jumper pack on it, rev/speedo did not work, and once switched off would be torn on, neutral and petrol light were very very dim.

spark plugs are 2 months old,
battery about a year.

going to charge over night to see what happens.