SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-06, 06:13 PM   #1
doe

Default Bike won't start!!!!

Sorry to start new post. Got a honda rectifier and battery fitted, but bike won't start. the engine is turning ok. Please help.
Old 22-04-06, 07:38 PM   #2
doe

Bit of bad news - Just had the RAC round, there is no spark coming out of one coil. They suspect the ignition unit is gone. Is this expensive to replace?
Old 22-04-06, 07:41 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

sorry to hear that man.

I have no idea how much one of those is. Or truth be told what it even looks like

But google is your friend and someone may come along in a bit who knows.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-06, 07:43 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Disconnect/unplug the reg/rec and try again.

Disconnecting it will not do anything any harm, but it will eliminate this new part from the equation.

Obviously don’t ride off as your battery won’t be charging

Why did you fit a Honda reg/rec unit and what wired did you wire to what wires?
Old 22-04-06, 07:44 PM   #5
BILLY

There's some on EBAY I saw them a couple of days ago!!!! Do a search for sv650 parts you'll find them there!!!
Old 22-04-06, 08:07 PM   #6
doe

The old suzuki reg\rec got fried. Previous posts suggest the Honda unit work better.
I have wired red-red, Suzuki black to honda green(green is the earth on honda), the 3 yellows to yellows, The spare black wire on the honda reg/rec is suppose to be the voltage sensor, so it was connected to the signal fuse.

I will disconnect the reg/rec in the morning. But i am begining to think the rectifier took out a few other things. Right side indicator not working and no low beam or parking lights.
Old 22-04-06, 10:35 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Swap the coils over, if the problem stays with that coil then it's duff, if the problem moves to the other cylinder then recheck the rest of the ignition system.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-06, 07:49 AM   #8
Tris

Good Luck mate, mine did the self-same thing and I'm only just (I hope) getting to the bottom of it.

I've checked every electronic component on the bike with the exception of the CDI. So that is now favourite

I've got one on the way (cheers Rictus ) but I'll let you know the out come once I get it.

Tris
Old 23-04-06, 11:26 AM   #9
doe

Thanks Sid, A bit wet 2day, not bothered. I will swap the coils over once its dry.
Tris, let me know how u get on. Look like i will be off d road 4 a few weeks.

Thanks
Old 24-04-06, 09:57 AM   #10
doe

Just wondering, i live on top of a hill and was thinking of doing a bump start. Will this work with one working ignition coil?(no spark out of the other) Its going to be one hell of a push back up.

Also, does the ignition coil control some of the electrics? My left side inicators are not working, change the bulbs, still not working.