SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-04-14, 09:26 PM   #2091
Brettus

Default Interesting fact of the day

Nice, didn't know the origin of that.

In the age of type setting, commonly used letters were stored in the closer to hand, lower case, whereas less used letters such as capitals were stored in the upper case.

Italics has nothing to do with meaning slanty text, it's named after it's country of origin (Italy) and was developed to fit more text on a page.

Oh and the fact that blew my mind this week, your mother is a 3D printer and your father was just provided software.... (No offence or pun intended, just quite a true analogy I thought)
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 03:54 PM   #2092
ClunkintheUK

Default Re: INTERESTING FACT OF THE DAY

On the subject of type setting.

The keys on a computer keyboard were actually laid out like they are to slow down typists in the early days of the type writer, so that the letter stamp thingys, no idea what they are called, wouldn't clash and get tangled.
Old 06-05-14, 05:05 PM   #2093
Grant66

Default Re: Re: INTERESTING FACT OF THE DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
the letter stamp thingys, no idea what they are called
Typebar

Sent from a portable communication device.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 10:21 AM   #2094
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Quote:
On the subject of type setting.

The keys on a computer keyboard were actually laid out like they are to slow down typists in the early days of the type writer, so that the letter stamp thingys, no idea what they are called, wouldn't clash and get tangled.

Close, but no cigar. It was laid out in such a way that the most frequently used letters were far enough apart not to clash.

If it were to slow them down it would have only done so until they learned the new layout.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 08:21 PM   #2095
Brettus

+1 for the pedant
Anyone tried Dvorak layout or azerty?
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 09:26 AM   #2096
ClunkintheUK

Default Re: Interesting fact of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
Close, but no cigar. It was laid out in such a way that the most frequently used letters were far enough apart not to clash.

If it were to slow them down it would have only done so until they learned the new layout.
Then why are e and a so close to each other?
Old 08-05-14, 09:28 AM   #2097
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
The phrase "the whole 9 yards" comes from WW2. The cannons on a Spitfire or Hurricane had about 7 seconds of belt fed ammunition. The belts were 9 yards long. These were normally fired in short bursts and their focus would be on multiple planes in a single engagement. But if they expended all their ammunition in a single burst or at a single target they said they gave them "the whole 9 yards".
Sorry a few factual errors. Spitfires and Hurricanes were both armed originally with eight .303 Browning machine guns, they were not fitted with cannon until 1941/42. Also the Hispano cannon were drum fed not belt fed. So if referring to the length of the ammunition belts it must refer to the Browning machine gun equipped planes. If this is the case, then both the Spitfire and Hurricane had enough ammunition for 16 seconds continuous firing (not 7 seconds) and generally Hurricanes always had a little more.

I really don't think this is the origin of the phrase 'the whole 9 yards' and wikipedia seems to agree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

[/pedant off]
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 09:30 AM   #2098
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Then why are e and a so close to each other?

Count the A's and E's in your own sentence, then think how often A and E are used together.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 10:02 AM   #2099
ClunkintheUK

Perhaps a bad example, perhaps T and H, E and R then I might get the thinking that some letters are used together are there right next to each other on the keyboard.

As Brettus inadvertently pointed out there are other layouts which have been designed for faster/easier typing in the electronic age.

Also its the mechanism and the closeness on the Typebar (thanks Grant66) that is the important part for not jamming commonly-used-next-to-each-other letters.
Old 08-05-14, 10:05 AM   #2100
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Sorry a few factual errors. Spitfires and Hurricanes were both armed originally with eight .303 Browning machine guns, they were not fitted with cannon until 1941/42. Also the Hispano cannon were drum fed not belt fed. So if referring to the length of the ammunition belts it must refer to the Browning machine gun equipped planes. If this is the case, then both the Spitfire and Hurricane had enough ammunition for 16 seconds continuous firing (not 7 seconds) and generally Hurricanes always had a little more.

I really don't think this is the origin of the phrase 'the whole 9 yards' and wikipedia seems to agree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

[/pedant off]
Really?! oh darn it. I really liked that story too. yes I was referring to the browning machine guns, I thought they were referred to as cannon too, because they were pretty big. I was remembering a story from way back when we went to the Imperial War Museum as a kid.