SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 27-01-07, 05:15 PM   #21
600+

Thanks for the ideas guys

Another option suggested to me by the HG guys today is also the Isle of Man

Closer to M'cr and never been there before

What you reckon?
Old 27-01-07, 06:50 PM   #22
Jdubya

I think you will find that your crossing, accommodation, and everything will be quite expensive during the TT...
Well worth it though and something I wouldn't mind doing once my income exceeds my expenditure again
Old 27-01-07, 06:57 PM   #23
600+

won't be going when the TT race is on - that is in May and I'm thinking of going in April
Old 27-01-07, 07:32 PM   #24
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+
the Isle of Man

Closer to M'cr and never been there before

What you reckon?
What about Ireland or Scotland ? We went ot Ireland last year and had a brilliant time.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-07, 09:09 AM   #25
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Here's my two pennorthworth

Dover to Calais................if you book online return fares are around £39 with P&O.

Then head down to the Verdun area. Plenty of 1st World War cemetarys and battlefields to visit. You can still pick up old ammo in the fields around Verdun. For a place to stay in the area you can't beat this place

http://www.bikersbedsfrance.co.uk/ Notice the low cost of staying here. Around £30 per night for two people, breakfast included.

Ian and Carol are a great couple, both Bikers, and she's an SV rider herself.

Great roads to ride in that area, not a huge haul from Calais, and well worth a visit.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-07, 12:04 PM   #26
600+

Just checked prices from Liverpool to IOM for car+2 and a dog

wait for it...

£184
Old 06-03-07, 08:04 PM   #27
Normski

Default Re: Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

You could look at L.D. Lines who sail to Le Havre from Portsmouth or Newhaven. Their prices have been very good.
From Le Havre you could ride across Picardie ( a nice area of France) to the Ardennes. I've found the best trips to be ones where you don't try to travel too far in a short time - there's no relaxation in meeting a deadline!
Old 08-03-07, 11:59 AM   #28
Tomcat

We are planning a trip in july. Sailing from dover to calais, then doing a ride to verbier, switerland (we have friends there so accomation = £nil!) The journey on the most direct route is 850km .... eek we planning to do it in a day! Should be interesting. Will test how keen I really am!!

Also doing Ireland for the northwests 200 which is May, it is a beautiful place, with plenty of bikes!

All Good! !
Old 08-03-07, 12:58 PM   #29
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
We are planning a trip in july. Sailing from dover to calais, then doing a ride to verbier, switerland (we have friends there so accomation = £nil!) The journey on the most direct route is 850km .... eek we planning to do it in a day! Should be interesting. Will test how keen I really am!!

Also doing Ireland for the northwests 200 which is May, it is a beautiful place, with plenty of bikes!

All Good! !
I once burned to Briancon in a day from Ostend (overnight ferry from Hull) and it was about 1050K. Was hard work over the Col Du Lautrette at the end of the day in a massive thunderstorm, but that kind of distance is doable if you take it steady. About 12 hours riding time?

I'm planning a trip in July to France, to ride over the spectacluar bridges (Millau viaduct, Pont de Normandie etc), meet my bruv to see the Tour go over the Galibier and meet my lad who will be working in the Ardeche. Reckon on clocking a few miles.....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 08:24 PM   #30
tee jey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
If you're planning on doin the Ardennes I'd suggest blitzing through the northern half of Belgium on the autoroutes, it's pretty flat and boring riding country.

Once you are about 40 mins south of Brussels the Ardennnes start, look at coming off the auto routes down into Namur, heading up the river to Dinant (both of which have Citadels to visit , and then and any route winding round the ardennes, taking in places like Hans sur Lesse, Rochefort, Bouillon, St Hubert, La Roche en Ardenne, Stavelot (just next to the Spa circuit, you can ride on some of the old circuit). Once you're down there there is plenty to see, some good roads following river valleys, and don't worry if you stray into france occassionally!

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...1406SERREP1110

Loads of small towns with reasonabley priced restaurants etc.
We're heading for the Ardennes in June. Overnight ferry from Portsmouth is £45 return, sleeper seat are available but 3 of us have split the cost of a cabin at £20 each. Sails at 23.30 and arrives le Havre at 06.30. Le Havre to Charleville Meziere is 234 while from Dover it's 177miles.

Check out the Logis chain of hotels in the area, we've got a hotel at Montherme, 4 nights for about £90 each. Formula type of hotels can be a bit out of town and/or in industrial areas away from restaurants and bars.