SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-24, 10:27 AM   #11241
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Sorry to hear that, Seeker. These things remind us that we're not here for long.
Old 27-01-24, 02:08 PM   #11242
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear that Seeker. The world is a poorer place for losing people like that.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-24, 03:53 PM   #11243
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Sounds like quite a guy. Sorry for your loss Seeker.
Old 27-01-24, 07:02 PM   #11244
Seeker
Mega Poster

Thanks, all. He was a force of nature and they broke the mold after he was born. He certainly made life interesting.
Old 29-01-24, 06:02 PM   #11245
Bibio
Mega Poster

sorry to hear of your loss Seeker. sounded like he was a top bloke.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-24, 01:11 PM   #11246
Seeker
Mega Poster

My garage dehumidifier has bitten the dust with a C1 error (overheat). The standard response from Meaco is to clean the filter but I dismantled the machine and it's not a dirt issue. I'm waiting to see how much Meaco charge for a repair versus buying an Ebac 2250e (with a 4 yr warranty if you buy it direct @ £250). The Ebac is made in Durham, the Meaco (a UK company) DD8L (Zambezi) is made in China.

There is a 3rd option but it's twice the price. An Ecor Dryfan - the problem I'd have (other than price) is that they vent warm wet air so I'd need to drill a hole in my concrete garage to vent outside. The other dehumidifiers have a condensor and a waste tank and/or can be plumbed in.

It's funny, there was a reddit post on why do boomers keep boxes that held equipment. Guilty as charged, I kept the Meaco box. Maybe it's just cynicism and I expect a product to go wrong...
edit: I have let down boomers everywhere. I have the Meaco fan box but not the Meaco dehumidifier box. The shame...

Last edited by Seeker; 15-02-24 at 01:34 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-24, 08:06 AM   #11247
SV650rules
Mega Poster

'buying an Ebac 2250e (with a 4 yr warranty if you buy it direct @ £250). The Ebac is made in Durham, the Meaco (a UK company) DD8L (Zambezi) is made in China'.

I had a few Ebac in the past ( 4 in total ), and non of them lasted over 3 years ( I thought that was normal, but got another one because they were made in UK ), and quickly went noisy. The last one i had cost over £250 with a 2 year warranty and boasted 'it learns your lifestyle and automatically switches on and off' the thing did not even have a humidity display. As for the two year warranty it failed about a week after it expired ( a common thing apparently, the controls just fail and the answer is a new control board ). Ebac did not want to know and offered me a £100 fix, that is when I got a MeacoDry ABC 20L which is much quieter, ( has a centrifugal fan ) has a nice digital humidity display and you can actually adjust to the humidity you want.... 4 years + later still going strong and as quiet as when it was new. I had a series of UK made cars that were not so good, but got them because they were made here, Then I got a Honda Civic and never looked back...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-02-24 at 08:08 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-24, 10:15 AM   #11248
Seeker
Mega Poster

Thanks @SV650Rules - I hadn't realised when I posted that Ebac were compressor dehumidifiers and I need a dessicant type for its lower temperature functionality.

Meaco are awful to deal with though. My Meaco DD8L Zambezi has worked well till now (3+ years) but when I try and get it repaired by Meaco they refuse unless I have the original receipt/invoice. This isn't a warranty claim, I would be paying for the repair.

I have just got off the phone with them and just couldn't understand why they won't repair my machine at my cost. The reason given was shortage of parts - I asked if they have stopped making them - no, but they keep changing parts within the machine that are not backwards compatible.

I'm now torn. There's an online channel that is a primary agent for Meaco (loveshoppingdirect) and they are offering a 3 year warranty on a lesser Meaco model (that would still work for me) on the other hand dealing with Meaco customer service is pushing me to look elsewhere.

I've emailed loveshoppingdirect (from whom I bought my Meaco) and paypal to see if I can get an invoice but I'm not holding out much hope.
Old 17-02-24, 01:52 PM   #11249
redtrummy

SV650 ' Then I got a Honda Civic and never looked back' So did I, great car, served me well for 20 years + but it was 'made' in Swindon! The engine apparently came from Poland though
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-24, 09:42 AM   #11250
Kenzie

My Gripe is having to deal with 02. I renewed my Virgin broadband and the only way to get a good deal was through their Volt bundle which comes with an 02 SIM card. So I get the SIM and try and log into the My 02 app and it says the account is not activated. I try their virtual assistant and it directed me to use the 02 app, which I can't log into. I went into an 02 store who said they can see the account but can't help me from store level. I've now been trying for three days to call their customer support only to be left on hold for an hour or outright cut off.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote