SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 08-08-15, 02:24 PM   #1
TheWeeSteev

Default New biker (kinda)

Hello,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now having bought a K4 pointy SV650S and looking for some useful tips - mainly about the quirks of the bike and how to pretty it up. I'm Dunfermline based but commute daily into Edinburgh and the PCX125 I'm on is fine but no fun at a weekend.

I'm still to sit my test, mod2 is due this Tuesday, so I can't comment on how well it handles or not. I've been on 125's for years and years now but finally realised that I'm not getting any younger and should really get on a bigger beast.

As far as I can tell the bike I have stored in my garage is decent enough, no rusty bits and nothing missing with a milage of around 23,000 most of which was put on 6 years ago - it had been reversed into by a previous owner so has a small ding in the petrol tank that didn't crack the paint. It came with a fairly noisy Scorpion can, we'll see how the neighbours deal with it - might need changed

One thing I've been looking at is how the smaller riders deal with the bike, I know it's not a giant amongst the two wheelers but I'm a little over 5'2" with teeny legs so any advice on how to get the bike more comfy would be grately recieved - so far I've followed a guide on seat shaving and taken about 3/4 of an inch from the foam - I can now get the ball of my foot down on the left

Anyway just thought I'd say hiya to SV riders in the area.
Old 08-08-15, 02:37 PM   #2
peterco

Default Re: New biker (kinda)

Talk to bibio , he will give some tips
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:37 PM   #3
peterco

also , welcome to the forum.
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:40 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

well i'm 5ft fek all and with suitable mods i can almost flat foot both feet.

lowering the bike is all about how much you are willing to spend.

if the bike has been sitting for a number of years then its going to need some TLC before you can start it. dont be tempted to just put a battery in and start it you might do irreversible damage which will cost mega bucks to sort.

i know its hard but dont get too hung up about cosmetics. better having a bike that is serviced and runs well than one that is shiny but runs like poo.

if i had more time i would come along and help out as i'm only along the bypass from you but its summer (well if you can call it that) and its biking time. winter on the other hand is no problem
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:43 PM   #5
TheWeeSteev

Aye spotted a lot of posts by Bibio and saw he was in fife as well. First hurdle is my test, the last lesson I had my only problem was I stalled when I couldn't get a good footing - training and taking my test on a Yamaha XJ6 which is not too tall but can be tricky on a slope.

Thanks for the welcome, once I'm on the bike I'll get some pics up of it as it currently is.
Old 08-08-15, 02:48 PM   #6
TheWeeSteev

Cheers for the advice Bibio, I got the bike into my garage and checked it out as best I could. Once I pass and sell my 125 I'll be taking the bike in for a full service. I've cranked her up and everything sounds good.

The boy I bought it from had it MOT'd last month, needed fork seals done and the back tyre is an advisory as it's close to minimum.

Cosmetically I'm in no rush to tart it up, I'll be running back and forth daily so the mechanical side is what I want sorted. I've a few more days to go before I'm allowed out on it so that'll be spent reading up and checking the bike over where I can.

I'm gonna try the shaved seat but I might have to go with a lowering kit - money wise I'll have to negotiate with my wife
Old 08-08-15, 03:13 PM   #7
TheWeeSteev

A wee hand in the winter would be great, my mechanical experience stems only from my difficult Aprillia RS125 phase where everyday was another technical challenge.
Old 08-08-15, 03:40 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

i could be wrong but i think the bike in the picture is a late reg K3 but i would need to see the rear subframe to be sure. if it is then its taller than the later bikes
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 03:45 PM   #9
TheWeeSteev

You know what, you might be right there I was purely going off the reg plate (still learning about SV's) which is a 54 but I think the reg doc mentions a K3 somewhere in it.

Trust me to get the taller one

I'll take some pics later on and post 'em up. To be honest I've sat on it in the garage and it doesn't feel too unmanageable, just really won't be super confident until I can at least flat foot on on side.
Old 08-08-15, 04:04 PM   #10
haggis

Hello! Hope you pass and get to use your upgrade.