SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-05, 10:29 PM   #1
REEVESIE

Default Couple of questions.

just a couple of questions which I am certain you could answer.

1. Would a hugger from an SV1000S fit a SV650S as my boss is toying with the idea of getting rid of his and I am trying to gently nudge him into making the decision to get rid of it so I can buy it of him

2. I filled up my bike with petrol the other day and I set the trip metre as I am concerned that the bike is not being to fuel efficent.
The empty light first flicked on at 105 miles. This is mainly urban commuting in London and not hammering the bike. (Well only a couple of times )

3. Do you find the gears become more difficult to change when the engine gets hot.

I know some of these me be apparently obvious but I am reletivley new to bikes and not to sure.
I decided to get some of the furring of the nuts and bolts of my bike on saturday using a dremmel and wire brush attachment. By the time I had finished, the wire brush was half it's circumference and I am still picking little bits of wire out of my face and legs. from the experience!!
Old 04-04-05, 10:37 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

SV1000 hugger won't fit straight on, it couldn't easily be modified and it wouldn't look great.

On a 650 I don't think that's very good mileage, but it does depend very heavily on how it's used, and also on the pointy bikes the fuel light comes on when there's still a good bit in the tank.

If the gear change gets difficult when the bike's hot, then something isn't right, the first thing I'd do is check the clutch adjustment.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 10:49 PM   #3
REEVESIE

Cheers SID
The bike is a pointy K4 but always concerned about running low and the consequence. I.E RICTUS SELKENT RIDEOUT

I did recently adjust the clutch as it still lightly pulled when fully depressed so the biting point is now higher up when I let go. if you know what I mean!!
Old 05-04-05, 08:01 AM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

Reevsie... if you bought your K4 from Sturdey's then I wouldn't trust the servicing beyond an oil change.

I recently had a good look over Kate's SK4 which she bought second hand from Sturdey's, who claimed to have done it's 4000 mile service. Every nut and bolt on the bike was dry and stiff. It wouldn't surprise me if the clutch cable and gear linkage had never been cleaned and regreased or lubed, let alone adjusted.

As the eminent Dr Squid suggests - start on these areas first. In future, keep your bike nicely shielded with WD40. However Mr Squid might prescribe a mixture of oil and parafin.
Old 05-04-05, 08:16 AM   #5
Mr Toad

105 and on comes the light is about right around town
I get consistently 43 mpg commuting in London, usually try & top up by about 120 miles on the trip
Don't rely on what the manual says about the tank capacity - when I ran dry I could only get 14.2 litres in, with the bike upright & filled right up to the lip.

S
Old 05-04-05, 08:24 AM   #6
RenamedMonkey

Milage sounds about right in town, stopping and starting often uses more fuel than straight trips at a constant speed.

As Mr Squid said, I would check out that problem with your gears, I had a similar issue - I think I just gave mine a clean. Take it to the garage if nothings improved after a clutch adjustment.
Old 05-04-05, 09:16 PM   #7
REEVESIE

Thanks for all you help.
I bought my first scooter a Burghman 125 from STURDEYS brand new and had nothing but problems with them and the bike.

In the space of 2 years the bike went back to tham at least twelve times. They always promised me that the problem had been sorted and that they had taken it for a long test ride to make sure.

they blatently lied to me as the mileage I arrived at STURDEYS with remained the same when it was picked up and I often left the petrol with only a couple of miles left in it as I was suspicious of them.

Due to this bad customer service I bought my SV K4 from premier suzuki in West wickham brand new.
they seem very nice a greet me every visit using my first name. (This could be a bad thing though. obviously spending to much time there).

As bike is still under warranty I will book it in let them deal.

Again thanks for all your help it is very much appreciated.