SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-06, 11:38 AM   #1
hoppy34

Default Front Paddock Stand

Hi all, I am new to biking only passed my DAS 3 weeks ago. Have new SV650S now in red. Very happy!

The front right fork on my Suzuki has a screw going from the front to rear at the very bottom of the fork.

This is causing the front paddock stand to sit slightly askew (propped up on right side by screw).

Does anyone know if your supposed to removed the screw when using a paddock stand? or best to leave it well alone?

The font paddock stand is of the type with a half inch pointer on the end which goes up the inside at the bottom of the forks????????

Any info much appreciated! Dont want bike to topple over!

thanks

Dave
Old 02-08-06, 12:02 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

That screw is the pinch bolt which grabs the spindle as it passes through the fork,and I can't see any reason why you should'nt remove it to make the bike sit better on the stand.Don't forget to put it back in though!
Old 02-08-06, 12:05 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Agreed, it's just to stop the front wheel spindle working loose, pop it off and back in again when you're done if it's causing you greif.
Old 02-08-06, 03:43 PM   #4
hoppy34

Default thanks

thanks for that!

Yes it will sit much better without that 'pinch bolt' have to remember to put it back though!

thanks again,
dave
Old 03-08-06, 02:14 PM   #5
BILLY

Be carefull with that type of stand there not very stable and I had my bike fall off one so to be safe put a jack under your engine for extra support!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-06, 02:35 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Remember that you cant use a front paddock stand without it being on a rear stand as well, the bike WILL fall over. Also, im confused slightly. i take it that your paddock stand(front) has 2 prongs? if so, one sits at the back of the fork, and one underneath. Neither should sit at the front of the fork at all.

HTH
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 03:22 PM   #7
falc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Remember that you cant use a front paddock stand without it being on a rear stand as well, the bike WILL fall over. Also, im confused slightly. i take it that your paddock stand(front) has 2 prongs? if so, one sits at the back of the fork, and one underneath. Neither should sit at the front of the fork at all.

HTH
Thats what I was thinking, on mine they have two prongs on each side and one goes under the fork and the other goes towards the back of the fork
Old 03-08-06, 08:17 PM   #8
hoppy34

Default 2 prongs

Hi guys,
the front paddock stand has two prongs. My bike is the K5 model. There is a pincher bolt going through the front right fork at the very bottom.

As I understand it both prongs from the paddock stand going underneath and inside each fork.

The manufacturer of the paddock stand said it was ok to remove this 'pincher bolt' to help the stand sit evenly just remember to put it back.

Have examined the bike and there is nowhere for one prong to go inside and the other behind.

thanks for input!
SV's are cool!

Dave
Old 04-08-06, 01:00 AM   #9
ianofbhills

sounds like your talking about two different types of paddock stand here.

I have the type that fits in the hollows underneath the fork legs like hoppy is describing. looks like this

the other type that mounts on the front and rear of the fork leg looks like this

On my front stand the pinch bolt used to foul the fitment of the paddock stand the same as hoppy described. You will be fine just removing that pinch bolt everytime but its a pain in the ass.

What i did was just chopped a bit off the paddock stand attachment so the the bit that protrudes into the fork leg wasnt long enough to foul on the pinch bolt but still locates in to the fork leg ok.

the attachments are in the bottom right of this pic and you can see how i have expertly modified them using paint lol

works fine no problems and you dont have to mess about with the pinch bolt all the time.

ian
Old 04-08-06, 11:54 AM   #10
kwak zzr

there the same as mine