SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-02-10, 06:07 PM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default being diplomatic

i need some help doing it as i seem to have a short temper and say things i shouldn't.

at the moment and for the past week and a half my bike has been away having the exhaust made. I took it for the bloke to have a look at on the 30th on jan and he said "yep fine I'll do it but im away working in york on some train carriage for the next week but I'll be able to make a start on it the following week (the 8th, yesterday) and i'll phone you" i said ok but can i leave the bike with you now as im away next weekend and can only get a transit at weekends....... he said yes.

anyway yesterday came and went with no phone call so i decided to pay him a visit, his colleague came to the reception and said that they had had a last mine rush job come in that needed to be done by the evening but they had discussed about the bike and what they were thinking about doing, i said fine i understand about getting given rush jobs ect and he told me to come back tomorrow evening.

This evening I've gone back and the main man who i spoke to answered reception and apologised to say he still hasn't had time to do it but he had moved it today into the office so its out of the way and showed me where it was, i was a little bit disheartened but thought he obviously hadn't forgotten about it. I asked if i could borrow a tape measure as i needed to cheack something and we both went into the work shop to get one, after finding it i noticed a train carriage in there so i said "oh is this what you went up to your for then" to which the response was "nah this is another job from Bournemouth"............... i had to bite my lip for a second as my usual response would have been "why the feeb are you taking on more work when mine is sat there waiting to be done ya *****", but i don't want to cause any friction as he's sort of doing it as a cash in hand favour type thing and its not his usual type of work so i said "oh i see......" quite slowly. He told me to comeback on friday and the temp pipe will be done, so i said ok

now im pretty much 75% sure that on friday when i go back it wont be done, my usual response would be just to take the bike away and tell him where to go but he's the only one in Southampton area that's been willing to take it on so i don't want to cause friction but at the same time i want it done , so what do i say? i basically need it done by next weekend (20th) as i need to start spraying it and have had to leave 2 primed panels on the bike for him to work around

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 06:11 PM   #2
metalangel

Default Re: being diplomatic

Just impress on him that you've been waiting a while, it's causing an inconvenience. If you then come back and it still isn't done, you might have to just take it away.
Old 09-02-10, 06:20 PM   #3
davepreston

does he know hes on a schedule, if not tell him, tbh mate set backs on custom jobs are the norm, and if you think about it how much more is he making on the train compared to a bike zaust (i know i know it just for perspective), and if he cant do it on time get him to transport it to where its needed for the spray job (his time his money) but be friendly about it just say alright mate if by chance it aint ready i take it you could get it to ****** for me just to get the other bits done ,cos as you know im on a time table, im really looking forward to this , the last bit adds your feelings which make them even more "mmmmm need to get that done"
and finally have some faith
Old 09-02-10, 06:24 PM   #4
beabert

to be fair he is only train ing......
Old 09-02-10, 06:35 PM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

i know there are set backs but its not like its alot of work, a day's work really, i know he is making way more money on the train carriages but he's taken it on and started that today. I saw him fill the bike in the schedule for the monday this is why im slightly miffed as to why he's taking other stuff on, he was recommended as the 2nd best as the best place sold up and retired. I want the bike back so i can spray it and get it ready to be MOT'ed ect by the end of the month so im waiting on him really which is the annoying bit

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 09-02-10, 08:45 PM   #6
andyb

There's a place in Wilton nr Salisbury that I took my bike to. Excellent guy, he made me a custom link pipe in about 1.5 hours for a very good price too. Will hunt out the details if you want?
Old 09-02-10, 08:50 PM   #7
TheOnlyNemesis

Say you really need your bike next weekend to visit your friends who are burying their pet, he can't ignore it then.
Old 09-02-10, 08:55 PM   #8
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
There's a place in Wilton nr Salisbury that I took my bike to. Excellent guy, he made me a custom link pipe in about 1.5 hours for a very good price too. Will hunt out the details if you want?
yes plz mate, that would be ideal only up the road

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 09-02-10, 09:14 PM   #9
andyb

Here's his website. I've only used him once but he's proper old school; showed me pics of his better projects etc, seemed really proud of what he does. He said he doesn't usually do bikes but sorted my custom pipe, even let me use his workshop to strip the fairings off etc so he could fit it properly.

http://www.torquetechnique.com/

EDIT: He seemed quite off when I spoke to him on the phone but all was fine once I got there
Old 09-02-10, 09:34 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
i basically need it done by next weekend (20th) as i need to start spraying it and have had to leave 2 primed panels on the bike for him to work around
I'd just go in a politely but firmly explain that you have made plans and you need your bike back by the 20th.

Ask them if they think they can do it by that date and see what they say. Have you paid them any money a deposit or anything ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote