SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-08, 04:43 PM   #1
PJinUK

Default tyre valve just blow out

Hiya, just got my SV out to go for a run and checked the tyre pressure, the back one was a little low so I put it back to where it should be.

As I removed the inflator from the valve , the inside bit ( the bit that looks like a pin i guess) just blew out and the tyre went flat in seconds.

Obviously its not right , but does anyone know what causes this, and does it mean a new tyre tomorrow?? Hopefully none of you have had this happen whilst riding??

cheers for any help or info in advance
Old 08-06-08, 04:47 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: tyre valve just blow out

Shouldn't be a new tyre worst would be removing the tyre to fit a new valve i would think
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 04:50 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

You wont need a new tyre
Just a new valve core, (unless the valve body itself is damaged)they screw into the valve. You can buy them from Halfords in the cycle section, a bit fiddly to screw in though. Or if you can get your wheel off take it along to a tyre place and they can check the valve and fit a new core for you or new valve if needed
Old 08-06-08, 04:50 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

The inner core screws in, so it might not have been fitted right (it's normal to remove it when fitting tyres as it allows faster airflow into the tyre, which is helpful in fitting it to the beads- so maybe it's not been put back in right last time it was out. Or maybe it just worked loose).

So, you could possibly just refit the core, or fit a new one. But I wouldn't, personally, I wouldn't trust it. Replacing the valve means getting the tyre partly off unfortunately. The tyre should be absolutely fine though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:00 PM   #5
PJinUK

Thanks, will have to try and sort it tomorrow now , damn,,its lovely tonight too and I am about to get my spanners out instead of going for a spin!!!
I was looking forward to going for a blast all day too,,,!!!!!
cheers again
Old 08-06-08, 05:11 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Oh aye, Halfords sell cores and the wee tool for fitting them, or at least mine does- in the section with the tyre gauges, fire extinguishers etc. It's not really needed, the tool, but it's well handy and very cheap.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:06 PM   #7
PJinUK

thanks again all,,I have got the wheel off now, and the actual entire valve is loose too, seems to be loose, as if not connected right to the rim itself.....I think I will need to get to a tyre shop tomorrow and let them have a look, I am pretty new to this. Can anyone recomend a place in or around Birmingham city centre for bike tyres at all?????
Old 08-06-08, 06:07 PM   #8
PJinUK

As Dirty Dog said, the entire valve body seems damaged too, just too clarify.Wish it had been just the core, might have been able to do it myself,,,lol