SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-10-04, 11:31 AM   #1
Tris

Default Side stand

The fork on the end of my side stand appears to have opened up, so that once the stand is down and the weight comes on, the bike has to move a fair bit more to take the slack up.

I have thought of 3 solutions to this and would like your thoughts please

a) Buy a new one
b) Apply some heat and squeeze it tighter
c) T*~t it tighter!

Cheers
Old 15-10-04, 12:03 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

There's a fair bit of slack on them even from new.

I thought the angle of lean on my SK1 was more than I liked, so I fitted an extra pad to the foot end (actually a mate had an SK1 too, and he made a pair of alum blocks which fit the foot end of the stand and is attached using an M6 bolt through the foot). It adds something like 10mm, and gives a more sensible lean angle.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-04, 07:43 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine has a lot more slack than it did originally, I think it must have taken a hit when i dropped it on that side... got an Ebay one ready to go on which is visibly tighter, cost me a fiver

You can't tighten it with the bolt, BTW.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-04, 07:50 PM   #4
chazzyb

Default Re: Side stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
The fork on the end of my side stand appears to have opened up, so that once the stand is down and the weight comes on, the bike has to move a fair bit more to take the slack up.

I have thought of 3 solutions to this and would like your thoughts please

a) Buy a new one
b) Apply some heat and squeeze it tighter
c) T*~t it tighter!

Cheers
Whip the bolt out and stick a stack of shim washers in there to take up the slack.
Old 16-10-04, 09:56 PM   #5
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Mine has a lot more slack than it did originally, I think it must have taken a hit when i dropped it on that side... got an Ebay one ready to go on which is visibly tighter, cost me a fiver

Northy where do you keep finding these cheap sv650 bits? I keep searching "sv650" but its not bringing up any considerable bargains.
Old 16-10-04, 10:33 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

You just need patience- I've been looking for a new stand for about 4 months. I have to admit, though, the postage was another £4, forgot about that

I still don't know how the exhaust was so cheap, mind. Maybe because nobody else wanted to buy an exhaust that nobody had even heard of, even the manufacturers The ridiculously cheap Ohlins shock was a private ad that Wee Mo found and posted here, just that I was the first to get to it.

I tend to bid on stuff I don't neccesarily need- example, I'm planning to fit a Veypor, and installation probably means cutting into the rear coil/plug cable, so I buy a set of used coils for £4.99. Things like that. Just bought a wiring loom for a fiver, never know when that might come in handy, 4 spark plugs for £8, a used battery for £10...

But if you want a real bargain, there was the Schecter guitar I bought for £130 and sold 6 months later for £350 I lose as much on impulse buys, so it all works out.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-04, 12:12 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
got an Ebay one ready to go on which is visibly tighter, cost me a fiver

Ditto, although I did leave it in the shed for 11 months, and only changed it to donate the old one to BigApe's bike, nothing wrong with it thourgh.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote