SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-07, 06:33 PM   #1
FG1

Default Should I feel bad about this ??

On my way to work tonight a scooter (twist and go) rider came past the junction I was waiting to pull out of. He was indicating right which meant he should have turned into my junction.
As he passed the junction and rode straight on the road became safe for me to pull out.
Now, we are both travelling along a road with no junctions for quite a distance.
As I pull alongside I sound my horn, just a quick blip, and open and close my left hand a number of times to let him know he is still indicating.
At this point, he starts looking down at his front end then back at me then again at his scooter.
All of his looking up and down took him considerably longer than I would have anticipated.
Now, in the distance a few hundred yards away there was a parked minibus.
I saw the minibus in good time and moved out but the scooter rider was too busy looking at his scooter and at me.
Yes, you've guessed it, he hit the minibus.
Now, I felt a bit gutted now as I would have thought the whole letting him know his indicator on business would have taken a matter of a couple of seconds. I stopped and turned round and made sure he was OK. He was and tbh didn't seem too bothered about the whole thing.
Now, as we were all stood chatting looking over the damage, the police drove past. The scooter rider seemed a bit nervous now and as the police carried on into the distance he seemed more relaxed again.
So, at first I felt gutted because I feel partly to blame for distracting him but I never thought I would have distracted him over such a long distance. Also, the fact that he was nervous when the police were in the vicinity made me feel he had something to hide.
As he was glad to see the police drive into the distance I thought to myself that I might as well carry on my journey to work.
Nobody was injured and there was no dispute between the minibus driver and the scooter rider as to who was to blame.
At the moment, I do not feel guilty because he had plenty of time to see the parked minibus and if I could go round it in good time he should have been able to also.

What do the org guilt police think????

Last edited by FG1; 21-09-07 at 07:07 PM.
Old 21-09-07, 06:54 PM   #2
leemole

Default Re: Should I feel bad about this ??

sounds like one for youtube if it was on film
Old 21-09-07, 07:00 PM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

you don't know why he/she was nervous when the plods went past?

can see your point about trying to tell him well done, TBH i wouldn't have bothered just kept my distance but well done for trying.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-07, 07:05 PM   #4
Hazzar

I would not be bothered its not your fault
Old 21-09-07, 07:07 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

I wouldnt feel guilty, Im always doing that similar hand signal to people who leave in their turning signals (so far, its mostly scooter riders!), and I've been reminded a couple of times by other riders that I have left on a turn signal. Unfortunatly for you, this guy was obviously oblivious to the fact he left on a turn signal, even when he looked at his scooter! If he really thought there was a problem, perhaps he should have taken initiative and pulled over to check, rather than not watching where he is going and making freinds with a minibus. IMO, then, he was incompetant in that given situation.

Possibly someone who has recently converted to scooters from years of driving cars, and not yet used to actually having to apply some effort to cancel a turning signal himself...

Still, an accident is an accident and I'm glad the guy wasnt injured in any significant way.

Matt
Old 21-09-07, 07:07 PM   #6
neio79

nothing to feel guilty about.
Old 21-09-07, 07:23 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think Id feel nervous about the plod if Id just done a howler like that.Careless driving nick in the offing?
I do think you should feel guilty for worrying about it though.
Old 21-09-07, 07:49 PM   #8
SV Muppet

It's not your fault if he's that inattentive.
You acted in good faith. He, on the other hand, just didn't act!
Old 21-09-07, 08:09 PM   #9
Lou M

Leaving your indicator on is riding without due care and attention, he then went on to prove this point...

Don't feel guilty!

Lou x
Old 21-09-07, 08:34 PM   #10
busasean

no you should be given a medal for getting a scooter off the road. most (not all) scooter riders in london need birching....