SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-09-07, 09:33 PM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Any Army Officers?

I am thinking about joining once I finish uni but I want to get the grant so Im thinking about signing my life (well 3 years of it) away in the next few months.

Im looking at Logistics or Inteligence

I was in the ATC for 4 years and loved it so I kinda know what Im getting into.

Im fit and think I meet all the requirments and im a doing war, peace and international relation.

Thanks for any experiances and comments.

Last edited by pencil shavings; 09-09-07 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-09-07, 09:50 PM   #2
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any Army Officers?

sorry I have too....

Army Intelligence, a contradiction in terms really....
Old 09-09-07, 09:52 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post

hmmm
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:54 PM   #4
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
sorry I have too....

Army Intelligence, a contradiction in terms really....
yep, the best Oxymoron that there is!
Old 09-09-07, 10:24 PM   #5
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Glad your not calling me that....
Old 09-09-07, 10:24 PM   #6
Stingo

Oh - I can hear the comments now, but anyway here goes...try this forum for info - there's all sorts in there...I kiddest thee not!!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/

Go on - click it - what have you got to lose?

It's the forum of the'British Army Rumour Service'.
Old 09-09-07, 10:29 PM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Oh - I can hear the comments now, but anyway here goes...try this forum for info - there's all sorts in there...I kiddest thee not!!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/

Go on - click it - what have you got to lose?

It's the forum of the'British Army Rumour Service'.

Arrrrrrr I know it well.....
Old 10-09-07, 04:51 AM   #8
MiniMatt

Despite my liberal lefty peacenik outlook I actually came pretty close to signing up. Was about 20, had dropped out of Uni and was kind of directionless. A-levels were apparently all that was needed for Sandhurst. Had an absolutely brilliant interview with someone (can't remember rank) about joining up with the RLC. His killer question was "Whilst the logistics corp aren't necessarily a front line fighting unit, you'll still be trained to kill people with bayonets - think this'll be a problem?". At this point I squealed and went white as a sheet. I think we both realised then that I wasn't really cut out for a life in the forces
Old 10-09-07, 08:21 AM   #9
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
I am thinking about joining once I finish uni but I want to get the grant so Im thinking about signing my life (well 3 years of it) away in the next few months.

I was in the ATC for 4 years and loved it so I kinda know what Im getting into.

Im fit and think I meet all the requirments and im a doing war, peace and international relation.

Thanks for any experiances and comments.
Int. Corp and Logistics are a completely different kettles of fish, possibly at the opposite end of the scale, from one another.

Int.Corp is the hardest to get into, understandably really, a second language to a decent level is quite important.

Logistics is far easier to get into, its maybe the least popular.

If you havn't already, get yourself down to your local army careers office.

I'm not an army officer...its just a fair few of my friends have joined up, or are in the process of joining, in the past few years.
Old 10-09-07, 08:38 AM   #10
carty

I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice other than to say one of my best mates has just finished his year of officer training at Sandhurst. Me and the wife went to his commissioning - very good party it was too!

Over the past year he has changed and matured a lot, not that he was particuarly immature before, but now he is kind of....grown up!

He admits there were times over the year when he thought 'what the hell am I doing', mostly when he was trying to stay awake on lookout for an enemy that was never going to show up during training and stuff like that.

He left for Germany last weekend where he is in charge of about 20 men and a couple of vehicles, they are probably going off to Afghanistan in December and he is looking forward to it.

I think he is particularly suited to the army cos his Dad is a UK foreign diplomat which meant he never lived anywhere for more than a couple of years when he was growing up and he's always been interested in foreign affairs and economics and stuff.

Bottom line is I think if you have an interest in foreign travel, don't mind living in close quarters with a lot of men and have a penchant for fighting, you'll be alright! No seriously, it can be a temporary or more permanent career which will probably be very varied, but only you can decide if it will be right for you.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Matt