SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Suits Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-01-16, 12:14 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Alpinestar Andes DryStar

I bought the Jacket and trouser set in the Dark Grey/Black colour. As with all sets the jacket/trousers are able to connect and create a 1 piece set. The Drystar layer is incorporated into the material suit, so it can't be removed. Only the thermal liner is removable.

Jacket
First impressions are good. There are plenty of practical pockets for you phone, wallet, keys etc. Winter lining is warm, but not overly bulky and well secured in the jacket.
Waist adjustment straps and poppers on the arm give you adjustment for when you have the winter lining in or out, or more layers on.
The collar is very comfortable as it is lined on the outer edge with a soft material,even more so at the chin area. You can also half height the collar with a popper at the back for summer time.
It only has 1 frontal zipper at the front which has a storm flap in front & behind to prevent rain/win intrusion. The front storm flap can be secured to 'back' to the jacket allowing breeze to pass through during warmer climates.
I can't comment how effective the vents are yet as the temperatures aren't that high yet!

Trousers
Very good fit, comfortable & practical. Pockets are on the thigh & are fairly shallow, meaning nothing of bulk can go in them.
Waist adjustment straps give you the perfect fit, and also come with braces if you so wish to use them.

I have only used these for a few hours so far, in single digit temperatures, and they've performed well. No buffeting, flapping, wind intrusion or cold spots. I've not been caught I the rain yet so can't comment on how waterproof the suit & pockets are yet.

One thing to note is to get the right size for top & trousers. I have a Medium jacket and Large trousers. The trousers are very fitting and so you need to make sure they fit comfortably.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-16, 09:08 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alpinestar Andes DryStar

For the first time this year I've been out in the rain. It was a persistent rain, but not heavy so not a full test but none the less worth while.
The gear performed well. I didn't get any heat loss or cold spots & the water simply runs out/off the gear due to the waterproof layer being directly underneath the outer textile. This leads to it drying out quicker as the jacket doesn't retain any water.

BMW F800ST
Old 02-02-16, 06:59 PM   #3
Toooldtodie

Cor, you've been caning the credit card Daddyjob!!
Been looking at these as my kit is getting some serious usage and will need replacing soon. Please keep updating as I'm seriously not keen on the wet getting in clothes I have to wear all day so this is a major factor. Recent weather should be enough of a test for the best designed piece of kit!!
Toasty warm is good too.
Old 03-02-16, 08:34 PM   #4
Lithium

Recently picked up the jacket after SBS agreed to refund my RST Raptor which was clearly not waterproof as was advertised.

The Drystar has been a godsend for me! Been out in some serious downpours and its kept me bone dry which is saying something from someone in Manchester.
Not quite as warm as some other jackets of that style but I find its exceptionally lightweight and is warm enough.

Only grip I have found and beware of this one. The chest pocket thats sort of in between the front zip and the storm flaps isn't waterproof. My phone was in it during a rain and came out a little damp. Luckily no damage but in some of the storms I've been in recently it would of been knackered.
Old 04-02-16, 09:42 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Recently picked up the jacket after SBS agreed to refund my RST Raptor which was clearly not waterproof as was advertised.

The Drystar has been a godsend for me! Been out in some serious downpours and its kept me bone dry which is saying something from someone in Manchester.
Not quite as warm as some other jackets of that style but I find its exceptionally lightweight and is warm enough.

Only grip I have found and beware of this one. The chest pocket thats sort of in between the front zip and the storm flaps isn't waterproof. My phone was in it during a rain and came out a little damp. Luckily no damage but in some of the storms I've been in recently it would of been knackered.

I've found that out too, little disappointing but it is near the vent. There is another pocket on the lower right hand side of the jacket, however it only has a Velcro seal on it.

BMW F800ST
Old 22-02-16, 08:49 PM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
For the first time this year I've been out in the rain. It was a persistent rain, but not heavy so not a full test but none the less worth while.
The gear performed well. I didn't get any heat loss or cold spots & the water simply runs out/off the gear due to the waterproof layer being directly underneath the outer textile. This leads to it drying out quicker as the jacket doesn't retain any water.

I was out in heavier rain today for an hour or so at motorway speeds. Still happy to say the Jacket and trousers are still performing well. Kept me warm & dry, outer pockets dry, lap & bum dry too!

BMW F800ST
Old 20-03-16, 05:03 PM   #7
Toooldtodie

Now seriously considering the jacket and trouser combo... just need to find £300 in the street. Might purchase in installments, kecks first I think.

Thanks for the updates as it really is better than the reviews you get which say, "Never been out in the rain, but they look waterproof"! No comparison to real world testing. The tapes on the seams of my cheapo Spada trousers have come adrift and the things are useless now above a mild drizzle.
Old 21-03-16, 09:56 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
Now seriously considering the jacket and trouser combo... just need to find £300 in the street. Might purchase in installments, kecks first I think.

Thanks for the updates as it really is better than the reviews you get which say, "Never been out in the rain, but they look waterproof"! No comparison to real world testing. The tapes on the seams of my cheapo Spada trousers have come adrift and the things are useless now above a mild drizzle.
TBH that's the reason i am doing this for everything i recently bought. No good reviews around in different weather conditions, or updates as to how well they last, wear, work etc etc.

I'd highly recommend them as they are a great investment and have proved themselves good in the current time i've had them.

BMW F800ST
Old 21-03-16, 09:59 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

*Warranty repair*

On the left cuff velcro the stitching had started to come loose. I took it back to Infinity Motorcycles who said it would take a week or 2. I got a call a week later saying that it was ready to collect. They have issued me with a brand new jacket under warranty.

BMW F800ST
Old 23-03-16, 06:59 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

Good to know.
Have ordered trousers and take delivery tomorrow.
So no pressure... but I won't ask you for a refund!
Will order jacket when funds allow. I always over research every purchase, but this set seems to be the best spec and vfm out there at the moment. We all know Rukka. etc. but that would mean spending more than the value of the family car, not happening!