SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 07-06-10, 12:02 PM   #21
barwel1992

Default Re: I have a new project - and it has 4 wheels!!!

im sure you could fit a 1.3 bussa engine in there
Old 08-06-10, 12:28 PM   #22
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Yes, but you can't cook bacon sandwiches in them now can you, hmmmm. I'm going to try fitting an electronic ignition module rather than the dizzy to see if I can't get it a bit better.
You could make a bacon sandwich, then bring it into your Ferrari and eat it! Haha. I will pop round and see this monstrosity someday Phill
Old 08-06-10, 05:44 PM   #23
Stig

I was wondering once you got it up and running okay if you were considering hiring it out. But at 11 mpg I would only be able to afford the journey home and back in it.
Old 08-06-10, 08:27 PM   #24
phil24_7
Mega Poster

11mpg??? My old bedford with a 3.1 V6 Ford Essex engine returned better mileage than that, even when it was spitting flames from the exhaust, and had a top speed of well over a ton if you had the minerals (stopping something weighing 2 tonnes with something that behaved like wood discs with sponge pads was a very scary prospect)!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 09:50 PM   #25
philbut

Well it spits flame out of the air box! It is running like ****, but to be fair it hasn't run in 10 years, and I got it good enough to get me to wales and back in 2 days. I now need to do stuff like valve clearences and setting the dizzy up properly / new plugs etc. I should be geting about 20mpg, judging by what I've ben told by other Bedford owners. i can live with 20 but not 11!
Old 08-06-10, 10:11 PM   #26
walkaboutandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Well it spits flame out of the air box! It is running like ****, but to be fair it hasn't run in 10 years, and I got it good enough to get me to wales and back in 2 days. I now need to do stuff like valve clearences and setting the dizzy up properly / new plugs etc. I should be geting about 20mpg, judging by what I've ben told by other Bedford owners. i can live with 20 but not 11!
Have you checked the timing and tuned the mixture on the carb? I've got a timing light you can borrow.
Old 08-06-10, 10:27 PM   #27
Miss_Undaztood

If a car has too many wheels, how many has the camper got ? lol.
Apparently their called "motorhomes" now too, my dad just bought one.

Years ago me and a friend were going to turn an old Bedford CF he had into an A-team lookalike, and fit a Rover V8, never happened tho, all dreams,lol.

I think insurance companies class a vehicle as classic if its over 15 years old, but anything built before 1st Jan 1973 is tax exempt tho, up to about L-reg.
Old 08-06-10, 10:54 PM   #28
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
Have you checked the timing and tuned the mixture on the carb? I've got a timing light you can borrow.
Checked the timing with a light, but I might borrow it anyway to double check - I did it in a rush as we needed to head off. The mixture screw does bugger all. It makes a slight difference but its only going to make a difference on tick over anyway.
Old 08-06-10, 11:33 PM   #29
Miss_Undaztood

The mixture screw should make a big difference, not just at idle, otherwise your carbs knacked.
If crud has got into it and its been sitting for a while, your best bet would be to strip it and clean it at least.
Old 08-06-10, 11:41 PM   #30
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Undaztood View Post
The mixture screw should make a big difference, not just at idle, otherwise your carbs knacked.
If crud has got into it and its been sitting for a while, your best bet would be to strip it and clean it at least.
The carbs have been apart 3 times on thursday and cleaned, then cleaned again, then again! Kept sucking crap through the old fuel lines until I gave up and replaced tham all. The jets all look fine, but the needle valve looks a bit groved, as does the idle screw. I've got a spare carb on another engine that came with the van, I just need to pick it up. There is also a brand new one NOS on ebay going for £60 which I'm tempted by - of an old Opel but loads of vauxhaul vehicles from that era use the Zenith 36IV carbs. I've ordered a gasket kit anyway as the original is cream crackered.