SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-19, 10:06 AM   #1
ChrisF

Default Curvy - Stator cover bolt not biting

Hi all. I had some electrical issues a few months ago, and ended up taking my stator cover off to look at my coils. Fixed the issue recently, after being away for a few months, and after putting a new gasket it in and putting my stator cover back on I've found one of the bolts will not bite. The bolt looks fine, and I have tried others of the same size. So the thread is gone on the mount itself.

When starting the bike I can see air popping out of the bolt hole, and when winding off the throttle a little oil is thrown out of the hole too. What is my best option with this? I'm thinking either to use a slightly bigger bolt and retap the hole, or use a helicoil. Only thing I'm worried about is where the hole ends up. Don't want to get swarf lost in my engine is all. Thought I'd post on here before tearing the bike back apart to find out - lazy some may think but I have very little time and need her back on the road! Thanks for reading, hope someone can help.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-19, 10:06 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy - Stator cover bolt not biting

So my approach would be to confirm the threads a stripped. Take the cover off and check the thread out. You may be in luck and there may be more thread in there to enable you to use a longer bolt. Which makes me think, are you sure you are using the correct bolt? After that its really just a case of tapping a new thread either by cleaning up the original or going oversize if there is enough meat in the case to enable that. Alternatively a helicoil insert might help.

Have you got a picture of the offending bolt hole?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-19, 06:52 AM   #3
Othen

Squirrel-hunter has this right: see if there is a bit more thread that a longer bolt might just latch on to first. I’m guessing it is not a blind hole because you say oil splashed through it.
If all the thread is stripped you could try just re-tapping it with the same size - it probably won’t work, but sometimes with aluminium the wonky threads can just be bent back into place by a steel tap, so it is worth trying to just clean it up.
If that doesn’t work then just go up one metric size and tap the hole. There isn’t much point using a helicoil as you have to drill and tap it larger anyway, and there will be more chance of dropping bits of debris into the motor when you break off the tang. I’m not familiar with the curvy, but if you are able to get access to the back of the hole without removing the engine side case you could stuff it full of rag before you drill and tap to avoid swarf getting into the motor (although I’d prefer to take the engine case off as long as it doesn’t mean a full engine strip.
Good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-04-19, 07:54 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

if you're going to clean up the threads (or retap), grease the tap to help collect swarf.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-19, 08:13 AM   #5
ChrisF

A slightly longer bolt worked like a charm. Thanks for the replies
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-19, 09:03 AM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
A slightly longer bolt worked like a charm. Thanks for the replies