SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-06, 12:13 AM   #1
svrash

Default Self made dog bones........material question

I'm going to make some of my own dog bones to raise the rear

Having a stainless steel fetish (when it comes to anything to do with my SV) is it a suitable material for the job or shall i stick to mild steel?

and also......i want to compare sizes ..........i mean of the dog bones people have either brought or made

Many thanks
Old 10-06-06, 02:04 AM   #2
Xerbraski

I like my bones made from a composite of Calcium and Marrow and some other things I don't know the words for.
Most dairy products and especialy milk is good for bones, oh and Rice Crispies because they're fortified with vitamin D.

Myself, I prefer Sainsburys own brand of Chocopops, they're a bit of a cheap spin on Kellogs' Coco Pops but they taste nice and the chemicals keeps me happy
Old 10-06-06, 08:50 AM   #3
socommk23

as far as im concerned...stainless just wont cut it for such a loaded item...stick with a good quality mild or high carbon steel. when you make them do make sure there are no burs or sharp corners as these just present weak points for cracks and fractures to start....the vibration of the bike and the road will find any weak points, and last thing you want is to be doing a ton and sitting on your rear wheel.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

or you could get some from the bike show in beulieu.
Old 10-06-06, 09:02 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Did someone not mention once that the OEM standard ones were ally, so steel is fine?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 09:16 AM   #5
haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerbraski
I like my bones made from a composite of Calcium and Marrow and some other things I don't know the words for.
Most dairy products and especialy milk is good for bones, oh and Rice Crispies because they're fortified with vitamin D.

Myself, I prefer Sainsburys own brand of Chocopops, they're a bit of a cheap spin on Kellogs' Coco Pops but they taste nice and the chemicals keeps me happy
No, silly!

He's not talking about salty old sea dog bones. Land based ones are totally different and would rust in such a hostile environment. Tsk, honestly.

I'll agree with you on the chocopops though, but I've never tasted them so I'm taking your word for it.

As for dog-bones the originals are steel, on the curvy at least. I've seen peeps make their own from alloy but you'd need it thicker so longer bolts. There is a thread stating the ratio for length to tail rise. Something like 6mm gives an inch, but do a search.
Old 10-06-06, 10:13 AM   #6
kashby

Stainless is harder than mild steel so will be fine, dont use mild or high tensile as this will just rust like hell.
Old 10-06-06, 10:30 AM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I wouldn't use Stainless.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 10:41 AM   #8
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
I wouldn't use Stainless.
I thought you'd say that Carbon steel??
Old 10-06-06, 12:21 PM   #9
sprocket

I used 6mm mild steel on mine, and yes it has rusted to ****, just gotta get around to taking them off sanding them down and then whack a coat of black hammerite on them, should do the trick
Old 10-06-06, 04:26 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashby
Stainless is harder than mild steel so will be fine
Harder isn't always good though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote