SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-07, 09:58 PM   #1
Paws

Default For those that have broken bones-question

How did you feel? eg sick/tired etc
Im on co-codamol and dicloflex for my broken leg and im going through bouts of feeling very sick-is that normal as my bodies been through so much trauma or could it be the tablets??
Also, anyone on here broke there tibia and fibia (lower leg bones) if so how long did it take before it stopped hurting/felt comfortable to move??
Any advice appreciated.
Laura
Old 21-09-07, 10:08 PM   #2
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Re: For those that have broken bones-question

Paws

I have a broken humerus (upper arm bone from shoulder to elbow) and am on paracetomal and tramidol painkillers. At first when I broke it I was in that much pain and taking tablets every 4 hours I was sleepy and felt sick. Your body's muscles are reacting to the trauma and you will feel different to normal until you adapt to the pain.

I have ran out of painkillers and tried going without because the pain is not the severe, or I thought not until I got a repeat prescription and felt the relieve again. Your body is adapting to the breaks and you will feel odd for few weeks.

For me the sickness lasted just over 2 weeks, but everyone is different and reacts differently.

My doc told me to drink loads of milk and eat dairy products, dunno if it will be of major benefit but I am doig it.

Hope you don't worry too much, hope you heal up and the pain goes soon.

xx Shell xx
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012

Last edited by Shellywoozle; 21-09-07 at 10:10 PM.
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-07, 10:12 PM   #3
Paws

cheers huni, one of the guys on the mcn ninja forum said he gets grumpy when in pain, and im deffo that! couple it with being tired and feel sick....
Having to sleep on sofa as i cant manage the stairs withou causing alot of tears and pain.
Old 21-09-07, 10:22 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Ahhh I know kinda how you feel, mine is my shoulder area and can't sit cause of major back pain, i move my left side and it affects the break and I am now getting really grumpy and very depressed.

This is week 4 for me, my days and nights are all one now, I have no life it feels cause I dont do anything active like I used to. Hospital told me I am not healing so I am more down at tho mo.

Keep your chin up, the pain does ease off I promise although at the mo it doesn't seem like it. You are worse than me I fear.

I will PM you my hotmail addy, we can moan over hotmail if you get bored, may cheer each other up
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-07, 10:24 PM   #5
kwak zzr

hi paws, when i broke my collar bone on the BP rideout i did'nt realize i'd done it! shock i think that got me home, when i found out about the break i had a sick feeling too and 2 weeks later when i feel the bones touching that makes me feel kinda sick too, the dicloflex is an anti inflammatory i think and the co codimal are pain killers and boy do i need them at night to sleep. the thing thats bothering me the most is feeling the broken bones still being broken
the doc said they should fuse together in about 3 weeks but it dont seem to be working my arm is only in a sling so it moves about alot.
Old 21-09-07, 11:17 PM   #6
melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
How did you feel? eg sick/tired etc
Im on co-codamol and dicloflex for my broken leg and im going through bouts of feeling very sick-is that normal as my bodies been through so much trauma or could it be the tablets??
Also, anyone on here broke there tibia and fibia (lower leg bones) if so how long did it take before it stopped hurting/felt comfortable to move??
Any advice appreciated.
Laura
Hi Laura

Very sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get better soon.

Co-codamol is an opiate based analgesia, therefore it will make you feel light headed and dizzy and definitely nauseous. Another nasty side effect is that it will cause constipation, so plenty of fluids and fibre.

Diclofex is an anti inflammatory as well as an analgesic. It can cause gastro intestinal discomfort.

Co codamol and diclofex work well together but will make you quite drowsy. Better than feeling pain though I guess.

Old 22-09-07, 01:28 AM   #7
Berlin

I'm recovering from a broken leg (shattered Fibula, now plated together) too and I'm about 10 weeks ahead of you.

What you describe sounds normal. Broken bone pain is a gnawing pain unlike that of a pulled muscle or tendon damage. Just keep the tablets going in.

One thing about the Co-Codamol though. Codeine (on which their based -Codein Phosphate) works on the brain to block pain arriving at the receptors. Paracetamol works the other way around by blocking the signals being sent from the point of pain. This is why they are used together.
The codein could be maing you feel woosy.

Like Shellywoozle, I'm on Tramadol and paracetamols and I take Ibuprofen as well (for the dislocation and tendon damage). Best of all was diclofenac but they only gave me a few of those.

Best way to deal with it is to face the fact that it's going to take a while and get used to being bored rigid. Sleep is a good option as it passes the time and the codeine will help with that.

11 weeks on and I'm up and about and the physio is really helping. riding the bike isn't a problem becasue it's my right leg so chaging gears isn't affected (I'd be screwed if it was my left)

Docs told me I'm looking at up to a year for full recovery but I made a bloody good job on mine being broken and dislocated. Foot turned around through 120 degrees.. Not even Bike related. I fell of a pier whist fishing

It still hurts now where they've plated it and it's like toothache in your leg. But the pills take the pain away.

Pics here... (not for the squeamish)

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/Forum2/viewt...r=asc&start=48

You should be well on the mend by Christmas!

Get well soon. (and Shelly)

Carl

Last edited by Berlin; 22-09-07 at 01:34 AM.
Old 22-09-07, 06:24 AM   #8
scarlett

Paws...hope your feeling bit better this morning.

Its early days, and your leg is bound to hurt for a while, as well as the fracture...it will have soft tissue damage etc, and combined with the prodding and poking that the hospital has been doing...its bound to be tender.

I reckon the feeling sick, could mainly be down to your medication. I have a back problem and when it flares up... I take diclofax and cocodamol....the diclofex makes me feel sick and upsets my stomach ( a well documented side effect) and the codeine in the cocodamol makes me feel drowsy and chilled (quite enjoyable).

Go with the flow and try and tolerate the side effects, cos you need the painkillers at the moment.
Old 22-09-07, 08:04 AM   #9
Paws

cheers guys, feel alot this morning, had a really good nights sleep (on the sofa) and can move around alot better than i could yesterday, still fel abit sick but its not as bad as yesterday!
im off on holiday now, see you all in a week, if anything major comes up im sure tsm or runt will update you guys.
Old 22-09-07, 08:16 AM   #10
Well Oiled

I broke both tib and fib in a football accident 7 years ago. I had a rod inserted down the centre of the tibia and screwed into place while it healed up. There was some pain wile the bones healed, but not too much. I used acetaminophen (I think) pain killers - branded as Tylenol in the USA (where I was living when this happened). They worked OK.

The worst part for me was that my knee/ankle had been immobilised for about 6 weeks and when the cast came off it was as if my brain didn't know which muscles to use - I had to really concentrate to move my knee and ankle joint. Also it's amazing how quickly the muscle shrinks when not used.

The good news is that recovery was complete. I was walking with a stick after a couple of months and walking normally after about 3 or 4. I had the rod removed about a year later and now have no after effects whatsoever. I am back to playing squash, running, cycling etc with no problems. Hopefully you'll be free of any long term problems too.

Cheers Keith

Edit - just checked what acetaminophen is and apparently it's just another name for paracetamol

Last edited by Well Oiled; 22-09-07 at 08:29 AM.