SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-06, 07:12 PM   #1

Default Rear Shock... No Dont worry.. not another GSXR question...

evnin all

My rear shock is suitably nackerd... even after asjustment its bouncing me out of the seat at bibling back road speeds..... a little un nerving...

So what reart shock do u recomend... im looking for something perpose built...

i think the best value for money so far is the hagon at about £250... and my budget wont stretch to something like an ohlins?

any other suggestions? if not.. any good places to get a hagon from?

Cheers
Alex
Old 12-04-06, 07:15 PM   #2
mart

nitron
Old 12-04-06, 07:55 PM   #3
Robw#70

Hyperpro do a good emulsion unit for £300 or as above Nitron and I think WP may do one, Stay away from Hagon its an 'MOT' replacement shock nothing more
Old 12-04-06, 08:07 PM   #4
curium

I replaced the shock on my SK3 with a Hagon unit after 30,000miles and I've gotta say I'm happy.

The Hagon is the same price as a stock replacement from a dealer but the Hagon also has rebound adjustment and is fully rebuildable which if you live near to their workshop in Essex can be a drive-in same day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70
Hyperpro do a good emulsion unit for £300 or as above Nitron and I think WP may do one, Stay away from Hagon its an 'MOT' replacement shock nothing more
Nothing wrong with a Hagon unit. I'm not saying it compares with Ohlins but it is better than the stock unit for the same money and is British made. Perfect for those of us who use our bikes for mundane tasks like commuting to work and a weekend scratch in the summer.
Old 12-04-06, 08:35 PM   #5
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I got WP second hand off someone on here, lovely bit of kit...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 09:18 PM   #6
ianofbhills

why not just do the gsxr/ 636 shock swap?

It will be miles cheaper then paying out for brand new shock and will be better then a standard unit.

i paid £35 for my 1000 mile old gsxr shock.

my friend paid £40 for his 0 mile zx636 shock.

ebay is your friend

excellent value for money mod in my opinion.
Old 12-04-06, 09:34 PM   #7
Robw#70

Quote:
Originally Posted by curium
I replaced the shock on my SK3 with a Hagon unit after 30,000miles and I've gotta say I'm happy.

The Hagon is the same price as a stock replacement from a dealer but the Hagon also has rebound adjustment and is fully rebuildable which if you live near to their workshop in Essex can be a drive-in same day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70
Nothing wrong with a Hagon unit. I'm not saying it compares with Ohlins but it is better than the stock unit for the same money and is British made. Perfect for those of us who use our bikes for mundane tasks like commuting to work and a weekend scratch in the summer.
The rebound adjuster does both compression and rebound at once, neither are right, very difficult to get a reasonable setup, ok its better than stock in that it can be rebuilt, but not £250 better, for what you get for the extra £50 its not worth bothering with.
Hyperpro/Nitron/WP all are specifically built and setup for each model, with Anodised aluminium bodies and fittings, compression and rebound adjustment, re-buildable and re-shimmable, spring rates are pretty good out of the box and are generally an improvement over stock.

The hagon units are a 'Replacement' shock, wheras there are better units available for a little more that improve the bike.

Again with GSXR/ZX etc shocks they are not great with each having its own downfall, be it spring rate, lack of or too much damping (kawasaki's in general) or having to hack the bike too fit
Old 12-04-06, 09:52 PM   #8
BILLY

Go for the SRAD shock swap more ajustment and cheap too!!!!