SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-08, 10:00 PM   #1
maclovin

Default my sv650 keeps turning sv325 please help

new to this site and motorbiking bought a 1999 sv 650 on monday (have had 20 years on tuning vespas and lambrettas) very happy with it till today went out for a ride and started to lose 1 cylander and rev counter (does this hint which cylander it is as its the one the feed for rev counter comes from?) started only a slight bit then got worse and worse till i limped home on 1 cylander , i am hoping this is just a loose wire as my boiler has just blown today as well (good job its warm as bike comes first) has any one had the same problem ? it was dry so no water probs. are the coils under the tank ? or front seat ? any info very welcome as only want to ride not pull it in bits . none of the other electrics are effected so i think its a coil or feed to coil prob.
thanks
Old 23-07-08, 10:07 PM   #2
jimmy-james

Default Re: my sv650 keeps turning sv325 please help

check the electrical connections under the tank for corrosion, the plugs and the HT leads. Mine used to do it but it was after wet riding, i unblocked the fron cylinder drain a made a rad guard with an extension to protect the front cylinder from water ingress and all is very well. This is a common problem usually easily rectified!
Old 23-07-08, 10:17 PM   #3
maclovin

[quote=jimmy-james;1576954]check the electrical connections under the tank for corrosion, the plugs and the HT leads. Mine used to do it but it was after wet riding, i unblocked the fron cylinder drain a made a rad guard with an extension to protect the front cylinder from water ingress and all is very well. This is a common problem usually easily rectified![/quote
thanks for info does this mean the front cylander has rev counter feed ? and would a fender extender on front mud guard help ? will have take to bits and sort all just a bit alien to me at the minute
Old 24-07-08, 02:36 AM   #4
jimmy-james

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclovin View Post
does this mean the front cylinder has rev counter feed?
Sorry mate, I wouldn't know. Just check connections, my rev counter has never been a problem.

Quote:
and would a fender extender on front mud guard help?
Yes in the wet weather as would a device like on mine seen here;

but that does not sound like your problem as you said it was in the dry. Unless your cylinder drain is blocked and front plug is surrounded by water.

Quote:
will have take to bits and sort all just a bit alien to me at the minute
Curvy bikes are a piece of cake to work on, i'm sure you will sus it out in minutes, i did!

Last edited by jimmy-james; 24-07-08 at 02:42 AM.
Old 24-07-08, 03:35 AM   #5
Ratty

Quote:
thanks for info does this mean the front cylander has rev counter feed ? and would a fender extender on front mud guard help ? will have take to bits and sort all just a bit alien to me at the minute
Check the wires / connections to the front coil. You should find the problem here.

Ratty
Old 24-07-08, 05:11 AM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

Does the speedo flicker on/off?
If so, check the battery leads. Mine kept popping & f@rting, needles jumping everywhere, only to find that the live wire on the battery was loose
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-08, 06:34 AM   #7
Troy

You could try disconnecting the tach and starting it up... It does run off the front cylinder, and a short in the tach can actually prevent the cylinder from firing. Possible, but doesn't sound very plausible.

If that doesn't do it... Pull the front spark plug boot (after removing horn, loosening radiator top bolts and removing radiator bottom bolt to give you a little more room). Before you pull the spark plug, blow some compressed air in there. Also make sure the drain hole for the front spark plug well is not plugged up. A small pipe cleaner or something similar should get it squared away. Image snagged from the svrider.com forum:
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...e=352_5242.JPG

Since you're already here, you might as well pull that spark plug out and check it, clean it, gap it. When you put the spark plug back in, I'd recommend aluminum head anti-sieze stuff on the threads, and some dielectric grease around the inside tip of the spark plug boot. That grease insulates against current, so it should help make sure the spark isn't grounding out somewhere. I also wrapped a small piece of tin foil around the spark plug wire, and have it covering the boot. Same function as what jimmy-james did, but not nearly as nice.
Old 24-07-08, 07:43 AM   #8
monkey

Sorry to de-rail but Jimmy your bike appears to be wearing one of those magnifying doobries for inspecting diamonds?!
Old 24-07-08, 06:28 PM   #9
maclovin

thanks for advise will have a look tonight , looks like i have posted in wrong bit of site as new to this , will check other section of site
thanks again cooliyo maclovin
Old 24-07-08, 08:05 PM   #10
maclovin

Quote:
thanks for advise will have a look tonight , looks like i have posted in wrong bit of site as new to this , will check other section of site
thanks again cooliyo maclovin
sorted have put the problem on fix bit of site . easy to work on . happy now . cheers for help