SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2010 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2010 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 27-03-10, 10:50 PM   #651
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR10 Chat

Hi Folks.
I think I've got the camping bit covered, but what's the score with the rideout? Is it an organized procession or are we going to be given route details and left to get on with it? I've just got visions of trying to keep 170+ bikes together on some of the best roads in Wales....and it's not a pretty site!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-10, 11:01 PM   #652
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

RH.....the Saturday rideout will be just that, a rideout. There won't be 170 bikes, I'd imagine from the numbers we have now that there'll be 140ish bikes, still a lot, but it's been done before and all the markers are experienced markers as well.

Due to the numbers however, we will be arranging Sunday rideouts as well. The shape that these are going to take are not fully decided yet, but basically, the Saturday will be the AR rideout and the Sunday will be an opportunity for those that want to pick the pace up a it and make the most of the roads whilst in the area to do so. These will probably not be marked as it'll be a chance for the markers to relax and have fun as well, but means that people can go off in their own groups and enjoy the place. Actually, when I say we will be arranging, what we'll probably do is just say, here are some routes, go have fun as we don't want any Sunday rides to be an organised rideout if you catch my drift.

Like I said, nothing set in stone yet, but the rideout itself will be very well marked and so other traffic at junctions etc will not be a problem. None of us want a situation where we are making other road users wait for that many bikes to pull out, so the markers will keep everyone on track with no need to push people beyond their comfortable limits to keep up.

For instance, I'll be doing the rideout on the Saturday, but probably only half of it and then I'll turn back, so on Sunday, I'll go out with anyone that wants to join me, leading if necessary, but just like a normal ride with friends.
Old 28-03-10, 09:46 AM   #653
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Hi Folks.
I think I've got the camping bit covered, but what's the score with the rideout? Is it an organized procession or are we going to be given route details and left to get on with it? I've just got visions of trying to keep 170+ bikes together on some of the best roads in Wales....and it's not a pretty site!

Last year's ridout was around 90 bikes and it all went very smoothly. No-one got lost or left behind, no normal road users were inconvenienced (although on more than one junction cars deliberately stopped to let us all out with a cheery wave). We had a team of experienced markers who marked each and every junction and a dedicated TEC to round it all off.
Spuervox and I decided not to publish the route beforehand for two reasons; 1 SV was still tweaking some of the finer points right up until the end, and the last leg had more than one version available depending on time and weather, and 2 we had a small concern about possible undesirable elements (obviously not in the org) who may read the route and try to disrupt the ride in some way.

So don't worry about the ridout itself Red Herring - we've done this type of thing before! Usually successfully lol
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-10, 10:06 AM   #654
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Sunday... These will probably not be marked .
even if there's only 2 people on a rideout you have to mark the junctions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
no normal road users were inconvenienced
Quiff & Mandy
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-10, 10:10 AM   #655
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Oh yes! Forgotten that lol
Old 28-03-10, 12:29 PM   #656
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
even if there's only 2 people on a rideout you have to mark the junctions

That's why we don't want organised rideouts on the Sunday....we've not decided on anything yet as I said, but if groups go our on Sunday, they will probably do so under their own steam and will be like going out on a weekend with your riding buddies. There is only going to be one rideout on that weekend, what will happen Sunday will be for people to decide upon themselves and we've only had brief chats about it so far, so will post up when we've all had a meeting and fill everyone in then.
Old 28-03-10, 10:15 PM   #657
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
So don't worry about the ridout itself Red Herring - we've done this type of thing before! Usually successfully lol
I've done a fair few myself, which is why i asked.

On the rides where we have used a drop off system, (ie's there is a designated leader and tail end sweeper, the rider behind the leader stops at each junction and marks it until the sweeper arrives before rejoining the ride) then things move along very rapidly and each rider can ride at their own pace, because if they ride quickly and overtake everybody all the way up to the leader they end up marking the next junction and going all the way back to the back....if they ride slowly they never have to stop.....

On the rides where there have been designated marshalls then the bulk of the group have to ride slowly enough to allow then to rotate around you, which always turns into a bit of a procession........hence my asking how you proposed to do it.
Old 28-03-10, 10:23 PM   #658
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

RH...Stretchie and the other markers will let everyone know what is happening properly both before and at the AR, but what is usually done is a drop off system, but using the markers. This works in two ways, there are enough markers to keep it running smoothly and easily get tp behind the leader ready for the next drop off. All markers will be in high viz vests and easily recognisable to all riders. It's never been a problem in the past and has in fact worked really well, allowing the riders to just enjoy the ride without any responsibility above being safe for themselves and everyone else as with normal riding.

Yes, it's a lot of people, but this area has about 10 huge motorcycle rallies each year, all using this venue for camping and the locals are well used to it, the police are well used to it and providing no-one does wheelies at 100mph, we'll be ok.
Old 28-03-10, 11:09 PM   #659
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Thanks, I get the picture, that will be option two then. I'll plan accordingly!
Old 29-03-10, 05:36 PM   #660
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Sorry RH, didn't read it that you wanted to know whcih system would be used.

It does tend to be a rather slow ridout, but for me, what it loses in spead it more than makes up for in WOW I'm riding with LOADS of other bikes and EVERYONE'S looking!!! Oh and the group hug type feeling too.

But also depends on whose pre-ride briefing you listen too. I recommend Bear's as the most informative! You certainly know the rules then!