SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 30-05-11, 10:12 PM   #1
swifter

Default Track bike

Hi all,

im looking at getting into track days and have a small track close to home which offers very occasional track days.
Ive considered zx6rs and gsxrs for around £1000 to £1500 but really want to do this on a budget as its only for a bit of fun and to scratch an itch initially.
I can pick up a SV650 for around £800-£850. T reg 99 with around 22k miles and service history - road bike.
How well would the sv adapt to the track with maybe just some decent tyres, some stiffer springs/fork oil, and maybe a gsxr rear shock?
As said its not going be for any real serious use as off yet - im a total trackday novice so intend to do one or 2 trackdays this summer, then make the bike more track focused over the winter and maybe go further afield with a trailer next year. Initially im just going to be riding to this local track so the bike has to be road legal to begin with.
Is it worth doing this or am i better going for a gsxr/zx6r? Quite fancy the idea of the sv as a fairly 'tame' starter track bike. My road bikes a k7 750 but dont want to risk it on track so just want some cheap cheerful fun.
Old 30-05-11, 11:44 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track bike

You'd be in good company. Monkey & Davies have just started work on a similar project, and I'm working with another orger on a pair of track SVs from very cheap curvy bikes that had been laid up for a few years.

Depends what you want out of it, if you want a cheap, capable bike to enjoy yourself on then it's a good choice. If you're going to be upset when gsxrs out-squirt you down the straight, then consider buying a cheap 600.

Jambo
Old 31-05-11, 02:02 PM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

personally I would have thought that 1000/1500 quid was on a budget. If you start adding anything to the base bike you are quickly going to rack up the cost.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-11, 05:57 PM   #4
swifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
personally I would have thought that 1000/1500 quid was on a budget. If you start adding anything to the base bike you are quickly going to rack up the cost.
My bad wording - thats what I meant my budget is initally between £1000-£1500.
Old 02-06-11, 05:04 PM   #5
Whitty

I have a 1998 gsxr srad model I have rebuilt brakes with braided lines and SBS track pads, serviced and resprung forks with K tech linear springs and race spec fluid, serviced rear shock and resprung and fitted supercorsas and find it an excellent track bike. Engine is standard for reliability and I change oil every 3 trackdays. Picked up cheap spare set of wets on wheels, a standard can (for quiet days) and a steering damper off ebay for peanuts. Plus its still taxed and tested just in case car breaks down. I had a mint K3 gsxr 1000 when I started out and found it a handfull at mallory. It was too nice to risk wrecking so got 600 off ebay. I will be selling sometime in future for some where about a grand to buy and build a minitwin but there are plenty about and with a bit of tlc they give a lot newer bikes a run for their money.
Old 03-06-11, 01:25 AM   #6
monkey

An SV is perfect to see if you like trackdays. If you get the SV if I were you I'd take off all the pretty road plastics, just for the day if need be, and get a trackday under your belt. You may find it's not your thing at all (but I doubt you won't love it!)

I've done a good few on an SV, a Daytona 675 and most recently a GSXR 750 and Davies has done a load on his R1 and we're both perfectly happy going to an SV for our relatively cheap thrills.

Do it!
Do it!
Do it!

Out of interest what track is it that's near you?
Old 03-06-11, 01:29 AM   #7
monkey

Just a note: Jambo is pretty quick on his SV which has very tired suspension more like a pogo bike so it really doesnt matter how trick your bike is to start off.

I won't even mention Binky!
Old 04-06-11, 08:50 PM   #8
swifter

@monkey I have absolutely no doubt il love trackdays! Im caught in two minds really at the minute, do I get a cheap sv which I can use at this relatively small track and will probably be all i need for that - or do I get a sports 600 as no doubt il want to go further a field to bigger tracks next summer.
Heres the track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzh-o1paxRM&feature=fvsr

Next nearest track (couple hours away)is probably Darley Moor which I think is also fairly basic/small?
blistering top speed etc isnt really what im looking for out of the whole experience, i want to be able to push it hard in the corners without the fear of dropping it or crashing into road furniture. And to learn to knee down in a safe environment.
Old 04-06-11, 08:55 PM   #9
monkey

I think you already know your answer then.

Lovely.
Old 04-06-11, 09:10 PM   #10
swifter

whats the ground clearance like on an SV? I like to get it cranked right over, are there some adapters available to raise the standard sets rather than forking out a couple hundred quid on rearsets??