SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-09, 05:44 PM   #1
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Changing Tyre Manufacturers

I will be in need of a new set of tyres soon and was considering new and different brands/makes of tyre.

I have previosly run Michelin Pilot Road and am now running Avon Storms. I personally have never felt more confident on the Storms. Great tyres with lots of 'stick' to them.

My question is should i stick with the Storms or keep trying different makes to see if i can find anything better??? I'll never know if i don't try different tyres, surely???

Also what does everyone else do in situations like this???
Old 23-04-09, 06:08 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Changing Tyre Manufacturers

Try the Pilot Road 2? Good tyre and looks awesome..
Old 23-04-09, 06:15 PM   #3
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Not looking for tyre reccomendations i'm afraid.

Just wondering what people think about sticking to a tyre or trying them all so to speak, and then choosing your favourite.
Old 23-04-09, 06:15 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If your happy then stick with them. But theres no reason to try different makes or models either.

I've been through

Dunlop
Bridgestone
Michellin
Pirelli
Metzler

I've tried enough now to know I'm happy with the Metzler Z6's or the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's if I want something sportier. I would still like to at some point try a set of Supercorsa's at some point but wont be for a while yet.

I like to keep trying though. You might find something better, if you dont and what you try next is worse well thats no big deal either. Just wear em out and try something else.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-09, 07:23 PM   #5
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Not looking for tyre reccomendations i'm afraid.

Just wondering what people think about sticking to a tyre or trying them all so to speak, and then choosing your favourite.
Ahh ok. Well tbh I think if you just try what works for "most other people" sort of thing.

For example, I'm looking to try those Avon viper sports as based upon another users thread on this forum.. but next I'm going to get Roadsmarts as they suit the style of riding I do..

it's best to try different types based on recommendation.. don't just stick a set of Maxxis on there for fun. But if some people say "oh this tyre is good", I'll happily give it a chance. So your best bet is to just brand jump till you find one that works for you.. they're always updating so what may be bad last year may be good this year.. xD

For example I was solid set I'd never have, as I call them, Contiroad Crap attacks. Yet I find a pair fitted to my SV when I bought it and aside from the odd feeling 120/60 front end (fitting a 120/70 at change..) they are stable and fast to warm up, with good grip.
Old 23-04-09, 07:27 PM   #6
RichT

Stick - you seem more than happy with what you have. Unless trying to save a few quid....
Old 23-04-09, 07:36 PM   #7
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Stick - you seem more than happy with what you have. Unless trying to save a few quid....
Yep, but considering i have only ridden two tyre brands on the SV i don't have the best overview of tyre performances.

I like the idea of trying new brands but then again not the idea of a crap tyre to live with for a year.
Old 23-04-09, 07:37 PM   #8
chasey

Funny - I have been thinking the same thing. I am fairly happy with my conti-road attacks but want to try something else. Going to try Pilot Road 2's next. Don't know if ya don't try and all that!
Old 23-04-09, 07:38 PM   #9
G
Mega Poster

If your confident on them, and you have got the miles out of them that your happy with (Not that you can really have an accurate reading on that ) then defo stick with them.

Believe me there is nothing worse than being stuck with a tyre your really not happy with slows you down and removes your confidence in the corners.
Old 23-04-09, 07:39 PM   #10
chasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
If your confident on them, and you have got the miles out of them that your happy with (Not that you can really have an accurate reading on that ) then defo stick with them.

Believe me there is nothing worse than being stuck with a tyre your really not happy with slows you down and removes your confidence in the corners.
This is true but on the other hand - how do yoiu know there isn't something better out there for you that will inspire more confidence etc?

Like women..gotta try them all