SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-11, 02:53 AM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Have Honda got it wrong ?

Honda gave up on the cbr600f version in order to just produce the more "hardcore" RR in 2008, but have now come back with a new version

old CBR600F (2007)

Current CBR600RR

New 2011 version

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/s...er/#!/cbr600f/

Suzuki were the kings of the cheap fully faired version of a roadster in the guise of the GSX600F/750F up until 2005-6 and it's new incarnation as the GSX650F.

Even Yamaha's newly redesigned XJ6 Divi comes in a couple of hundred quid cheaper with full fairing and ABS

Honda made the 600F as more a practical sports bike rather than a faired budget one, so it wasn't seen to be in the same class.

Now however this new version is based on the Hornet and not on the current RR, is it going to be seen as a fully faired Hornet or a true CBR

Discuss

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 27-03-11 at 02:55 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11, 06:47 AM   #2
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Have Honda got it wrong ?

Went to the open evening to show off the new CBR range on Thursday & Honda are keeping the RR & pitching the new F on riders wanting the "sports bike experience" without the hardcore race machine ethics, so basically it's a soft sports bike for newish riders.
To be honest I prefer the styling of the new CBR250 to the 600, looks a lot nicer, except for the exhaust.

Last edited by mister c; 27-03-11 at 06:50 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11, 08:58 AM   #3
-Ralph-

Yes they got it wrong, they've missed out on a lot of sales since 2007 by not having a F model, and they realise that. The F is a damn good bike and there is room for both in the range. Not sure the new one looks right, but that's a different discussion.
Old 27-03-11, 09:02 AM   #4
Dicky Ticker

And a lot lot cheaper to run and maintain.I looked at the fuel consumption everything,tyres,insurance,depreciation and price for brand new
To be honest with all the downers on biking of late and quite happy to go about at legal speed limits I wonder if it is worth keeping the ST or change down to the 250.
The only thing that concerns me is that it feels small in comparison and lacking in "Presence" if that is the word

After market exhaust required which would probably be lighter.

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 27-03-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 27-03-11, 09:05 AM   #5
Baggy

I have though about going to a 250 as well but not sure on how it would cope with a pillion.

I had a 57 plate hornet before the SV1000 I have now, if it's a faired hornet it will be a very good bike
Old 27-03-11, 09:37 AM   #6
Sean_C

This bike was on my next bike list until I had a sit on one yesterday. The handle and pegs positions are far less racy than the RR, but still far too uncomfortable for somebody of my shape.
I think they look great in red white and gold though.
Old 27-03-11, 10:15 AM   #7
kellyjo

Have had a 99 600F for a week and its a great bike, cant fault it in any way, so smooth and balanced.

Will probably test ride a new one to see how it compares.
Old 28-03-11, 10:46 AM   #8
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

For me, yes. Considering an "original" CBR600F as an sv replacement for a year round hack. (Has everyone not to own one at some point anyway?)

Its only a cbr600f in name. The old one will destroy it everywhere. Dressed up hornet built in euroland. The originals were proper top of the line hondas (ie viffers/blades), not (as much) built down to a price as this new howler.

New one: donated budgety engine and frame and boak inducing exhaust system. No centrestand (or option of fitting,) no grabrail, bum-basic sussies. Titchy fuel tank.

Auld yin:Won all sorts of races yet could take full luggage and two folk in comfort.

Different class of bike. Nothing budgety about them.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-11, 11:42 AM   #9
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

If you ask me (which you probably don't) Honda have been getting it wrong on styling alone for the last few years, I can't remember a faired bike by them coming out for about 3 or 4 years thats not been hit with the ugly stick...

I haven't really taken enough interest in their bikes to look at performance and other stuff...

Their Nekid bikes ain't too bad though but thats a different matter...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-11, 11:54 AM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
I have though about going to a 250 as well but not sure on how it would cope with a pillion.
I've taken Foxy pillion on her Ninja 250 and found it more than capable.