SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-11-08, 08:44 AM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Ok Geeks of Orgdom, lend me your ears

Put down that 'making unix fun' book, i need your help!

I have an odd problem. Verna can not log on to the RBS website on her laptop. Now, Grinch had a look last night and this is what he found and before i go resetting the router etc i wonder if anyone has had the same issue.

It seems that the IP is blocked, to the point it doesnt show up in the logs at all. You can connect if the laptop is wired to the router, and my main PC logs in fine, so its just a wireless issue.

I have just rebuilt the laptop, but it couldnt do it before.

I have a Netgear Rangemax router, and PCMCIA wireless card running on Virgin Cable, and run Kaspersky Internet Suite 2009. AS i say, its only when trying to connect wirelessly to the router. All other sites are fine, just www.rbs.co.uk

So help please
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-08, 09:07 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Ok Geeks of Orgdom, lend me your ears

If I knew how to get into the advanced logs then I might have got some more info off the router, but the general logs show no details of your atempt to contact rbs.co.uk.

In fact when you get to the command line and ping www.rbs.co.uk it fails too. Name search look ups of the address brings back the IP as you would expect, but once you try to ping or contact that address all fails. Plug it into the wired connection and all is fine, I already turned off the firewall and Kaspersky in the laptop and it makes no difference and it blocks it at command line, firefox or IE.

I'm suspecting a problem with the router blocking all wireless traffic to rbs on 155.136.80.* (think that was the address for rbs) as it seems to be blocking everything on the same subnet. I did forget to do a traceroute to the address...

Viney... try this.

Code:
nslookup www.rbs.co.uk
tracert <ip address>
And see how far the system gets... if it only gets to your router, probably starting a 192.* address and no further then its the router doing to blocking and it might be a idea to hard reset it unless you feel like hunting about.

Enjoy...
Old 18-11-08, 09:24 AM   #3
keithd

ask me a question on Texas Holdem Poker...
Old 18-11-08, 09:33 AM   #4
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
ask me a question on Texas Holdem Poker...
Is it a good idea to play loose out of the blinds if there are a lot of people in the hand?

(Sorry Viney, don't know anything about computers )
Old 18-11-08, 09:40 AM   #5
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Is it a good idea to play loose out of the blinds if there are a lot of people in the hand?

(Sorry Viney, don't know anything about computers )
it depends on whether you continue the agression after the flop. i'd steer clear of loose play while there's a full table, you never know whats behind you and anybody could hit on the flop. its more a game of chance then..
Old 18-11-08, 09:46 AM   #6
DanAbnormal

Can you connect to any other website wirelessly?

Tried disabling Firewall etc?

I know these are basic functions and Grinch knows a lot more than me about this stuff so I'm sure you tried already.
Old 18-11-08, 10:40 AM   #7
Grinch

Yep it connects to google and other banks just fine... it just seems to be the IP subnet the RBS use.
Old 18-11-08, 07:24 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
If I knew how to get into the advanced logs then I might have got some more info off the router, but the general logs show no details of your atempt to contact rbs.co.uk.

In fact when you get to the command line and ping www.rbs.co.uk it fails too. Name search look ups of the address brings back the IP as you would expect, but once you try to ping or contact that address all fails. Plug it into the wired connection and all is fine, I already turned off the firewall and Kaspersky in the laptop and it makes no difference and it blocks it at command line, firefox or IE.

I'm suspecting a problem with the router blocking all wireless traffic to rbs on 155.136.80.* (think that was the address for rbs) as it seems to be blocking everything on the same subnet. I did forget to do a traceroute to the address...

Viney... try this.

Code:
nslookup www.rbs.co.uk
tracert <ip address>
And see how far the system gets... if it only gets to your router, probably starting a 192.* address and no further then its the router doing to blocking and it might be a idea to hard reset it unless you feel like hunting about.

Enjoy...
Right, i have no idea what i am looking at but the laptop goets to the same places as my PC, but does not show the RBS part of the path. So maybe it is blocking any wireless connections somehow!!

I hard rest the router and still no joy
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-08, 07:28 PM   #9
keithd

did you re-raise the King/Queen?
Old 18-11-08, 09:02 PM   #10
Baph

Right, if I've read the above correct, hard-wired connection from either the main PC, or Verna's laptop connects to www.rbs.co.uk just fine.

For reference, I've just pinged www.rbs.co.uk and it returned the IP of 155.136.80.222. All pings were rejected, but that's to be expected.

Again, for reference, I've just tracert'd www.rbs.co.uk, and I got the following:
Quote:
1 58 ms 99 ms 97 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 42 ms 44 ms 43 ms lo98.mk-2-ips.as9105.net [212.74.102.32]
3 45 ms 45 ms 47 ms 10.72.4.220
4 49 ms 50 ms 47 ms 10.72.4.126
5 45 ms 46 ms 50 ms xe-0-2-0-0.lon10.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.77.73]

6 50 ms 52 ms 51 ms ge-7-2-0-zcr1.muc.cw.net [195.2.3.61]
7 52 ms 55 ms 52 ms ge-5-0-0.dcr2.lnd.cw.net [195.2.25.6]
8 52 ms 51 ms 52 ms bcr1.lnd.cw.net [195.2.12.68]
9 53 ms 54 ms 56 ms gi-8-2-CHT-CIG.cw.net [195.2.0.235]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 2195 ms 63 ms 63 ms 155.136.65.4
13 * * * Request timed out.
From that point, it just timed out. Seems like someone at RBS has their head switched on when it comes to security, but anyhow, that's digressing.

Viney, you should get similar output to the above from tracert on a hard wired connection. Have you seen where the route stops when wireless on the laptop?

Since the router has two interfaces, wired & wireless, it's entirely possible that somehow a rule has been added in the firewall to state that devices communicating on the wireless interface are not allowed to www.rbs.co.uk.

Give me a few mins to google & then rifle through the router's manual, and I'll edit this post with whatever I find...

EDIT: Have a look around the Content Filtering in the main menu of the router, that has options to block a single computer connecting to specific websites etc. It's probably there that's stopping the laptop if anywhere on the router.

Last edited by Baph; 18-11-08 at 09:08 PM.