SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-12, 06:44 PM   #1
The_Ric0

Default Oil leak after chain and sprocket replacement.

I hate paying someone to do something that you could quite easily do but the wife's sv needed a new rear tyre, chain and sprockets so I took the plunge and had it done on Sunday at a reasonably decent Independant workshop in London that I have never had any problems from before and are always reasonably priced, already slightly annoyed that I didn't do the chain and sprockets myself today i noticed a nice cloud of smoke as she pulled up along side me at some traffic lights, upon further inspection oil is leaking at a rather alarming rate from under the sprocket cover (haven't looked any further as its cold dark and wet)

So the question is what is worse me being annoyed about the garage buggering up or the wife being annoyed at me that she has to be a pillion for the rest of the week until we can take the bike back to get it fixed!

You decide

Last edited by The_Ric0; 27-11-12 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Damn iPad autocorrect
The_Ric0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-12, 08:34 PM   #2
muzikill
Mega Poster

Chain could be too tight or back wheel a mile out causing transmission shaft be pulled against the seal. Could also be the sprocket spacer with seal ring not fitted right or perished in removal. Could be fitted wrong way round. Transmission output shaft seal could have been moved / damaged. The bike needs to go back and checked. Check the oil level before you start it or it could be disaster!

I figure theyve damaged or dislodged the seals. Its the only way you would get a lot of oil coming out.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 27-11-12 at 08:38 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-12, 08:48 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oil leak after chain and sprocket replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
Chain could be too tight or back wheel a mile out causing transmission shaft be pulled against the seal.
If the shaft can be moved even a tiny bit then the bearing is knackered - the chain tension being grossly overtight could conceivably cause this - but not in a weekend.
If the shaft can move at all then the seal will not work, resetting the chain will not allow the seal to function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
Could also be the sprocket spacer with seal ring not fitted right or perished in removal. Could be fitted wrong way round. Transmission output shaft seal could have been moved / damaged.
This - it's far more likely that something seal wise was damaged/omitted/wrongly refitted when the front sprocket was changed.

Also check the clutch pushrod seal, it's rare, but not unknown, for the seal to be damaged when the lifter is removed - as it must be to access the front sprocket.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-12, 08:43 AM   #4
The_Ric0

Thanks for the advice guys,

I have had a quick look this morning and the rear brake is now binding since the work was done, do you recon that the added stress fron the rear brake being on could be anything to do with this?, I am taking it back to the garage later this morning so hopefully it should be all sorted by the end of the day, that is unless the plot thickens after I take it back!
Old 30-11-12, 09:24 AM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ric0 View Post
Tthe rear brake is now binding since the work was done, do you recon that the added stress fron the rear brake being on could be anything to do with this?
No.

I'm not suggesting that you should 'name and shame' just yet, after all mistakes happen we have to be realistic about that, and that's not a problem unless those in question don't attend to it - if it proves to be their doing of course.
Your stating you had it done on a Sunday rather narrows the options though.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 30-11-12, 09:43 AM   #6
The_Ric0

Thanks, I don't think i would name and shame even if i get a cold reception today, I am not a fan of paying a garage to do something as i prefer to do it myself and have had people try to take me for a fool before but I will take my bikes to this particular place when I either fail miserably at a task or just dont have the time. Even if I am not totally happy with their service today I would still recommend them as 1 bad experience in 20 or so is damn good if you ask me, and as you say having it done on a sunday does narrow down the options which is also a big plus point for this place!
Old 30-11-12, 01:30 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

could be that when they fitted the new sprocket that there was so much crap in the casing that when they removed it the problem arisen but due to the crud the problem may have been there before they done the work.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-12, 02:53 PM   #8
The_Ric0

It turns out that the clutch pushrod oil seal was on the way out and removing the clutch release screw assembly was enough to render it useless, the only problem is trying to source a new seal before the end of the day.
Thanks for all of your help!
Old 30-11-12, 05:02 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Ha! I said that

What I meant was that you went to a shop, (an independent), that's has the workshop open on Sundays, and you're you're in London - I reckon I know who that is.

Last edited by Sid Squid; 30-11-12 at 05:05 PM.